• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Maybe it wasn't a witch hunt.

You might find these tax liens interesting.

View attachment 16881

View attachment 16882

View attachment 16883

View attachment 16884

Owner - none other than the then Treasurer of the TDC. If I remember correctly MS Brown was promoting an increase in the bed tax, but fell just a little behind in forwarding those taxes collected by her firm to the State of Florida and TDC.

This is really shocking. They sure collected the taxes for my rental when we had it with them and it disgusts me that they didn't pay them to the proper entities.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Wow. Mary Brown wasn't the person I was thinking of, but that is truly shocking. Okay...no witch hunt there.

As for the phantom contract, that is completely unbelievable. Do the Sunshine laws have no teeth at all?

Has any Chamber ever taken on the responsibilities of a governmental entity? And how is this different from the Coastal Vision 3000 group that was thwarted in their attempts to act as an unelected, private group with governmental authority?

I have nothing against the Chamber or it's director, I just think this situation is too odd to be kosher. A Chamber advocates for it's paid members not the general citizenry.
It is shocking. :blink: But Rapunzel asks some really pertinent questions. Regardless of the reasons for shaking things up at the TDC, is this the solution??

Suzanne Harris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 19, 2008
I asked Ms. Jones, but she didn't answer that question exactly, so I have asked her again. I am not clear on whether they are talking about hiring Dawn Moliterno as interim director, or hiring the Chamber to manage the TDC.

Cecelia does not have a clue. She just made the motion she was told to make. Then when questions started flying it was plain she knew NOTHING.

Write your commissioners

I am a second year member of the TDC, and I encourage you to write/email/call your commissioners if you disagree with the public/private partnership. The TDC executive director answers directly to the BCC, and the TDC (advisory board) has no control over personnel. However, most of the Council members were present at the BCC meeting and vocalized our opinions to the commissioners, the majority in opposition to the partnership.

Last edited:

beachlivinggr8

Beach Comber
Mar 3, 2008
If you were there you heard the discussion about an agreement that was distributed to at least some of the TDC Board last week. After making multiple public record requests and being told that no such document existed - a kind soul provide a copy that they received on last Saturday.

Although it is a draft with certain info to be filled in, it shows that those who claimed that the idea to place the TDC under control of the Chamber was in motion, prior to the HR Directors request for guidance and Commissioner C Jones read her written motion.

The BCC needs to hire a new script writer - this last episode was poorly written and executed. Every punch was telegraphed.

The WCTA was repeatedly told no such document or draft existed by the Legal Department, TDC and Chamber.

It appears that we have a CZAR in Walton County that acts without direction, approval or authority. That same CZAR gave County Commissioners free Medical Insurance and simply sent them an email informing them of his action, has now decided to orchestrate an consolidation of additional delivery of key and vital services under the Chamber umbrella all prior to any county commissioner having knowledge of the plan.

View attachment 16880

It's because the chamber has been working behind the scenes for this to happen. First the EDA, now the TDC.

beachlivinggr8

Beach Comber
Mar 3, 2008
Wow. Mary Brown wasn't the person I was thinking of, but that is truly shocking. Okay...no witch hunt there.

As for the phantom contract, that is completely unbelievable. Do the Sunshine laws have no teeth at all?

Has any Chamber ever taken on the responsibilities of a governmental entity? And how is this different from the Coastal Vision 3000 group that was thwarted in their attempts to act as an unelected, private group with governmental authority?

I have nothing against the Chamber or it's director, I just think this situation is too odd to be kosher. A Chamber advocates for it's paid members not the general citizenry.

Coasta Visions is something else the chamber was behind and very involved with - I believe the chamber was even the "bookkeeper" for Coastal Visions.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
historically chambers lobby governments on behalf of their largest member contributors. The National Chapter seems to be doing lots of bank "reform" lobbying on behalf of the banks.

On a local level now might be a good time to do a 2 column TDC and Chamber list and do the old line drawing to connect side TDC to side CofC...;-)

and just for fun maybe a 3 column connection including BCC

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I cannot believe they think this is a good idea - especially considering all of the issues and scandals we have had lately.

Best analogy I can come up with is the farmer putting the fox in charge of the henhouse, burning every record/receipt, and taking up skydiving with a parachute he sews himself. :roll:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
The NWFL Daily News has one of their lead reporters on this story. Maybe he'll be interviewing in the daylight and reporting on more people involved in this. Doesn't mention in this story, but did in others, that current and longtime professional TDC employee Tracy Louthian is serving in an interim capacity. She's not costing the TDC or county any extra money as far as I know. The TDC has a well trained and professional staff that will do just fine until a search can be done for a new permanent leader.