• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
so funny how we all have our own expectations and needs. Publix has so spoiled me that I would faint if they didn't bag my groceries AND carry them out to my car. I love their customer service and have come to depend on it every time. So friendly and helpful - and many of them are literally friends.. something I've never experienced in a Walmart. ever. I am thankful for my publix.

I don't want to bag my groceries. heck, I am still mad that I have to put gas in my own car. ha ha.

That is so funny!! :D You are right, I guess we just have different expectations and needs. It certainly doesn't stop me from shopping at Publix, I was there yesterday. But the prices are most definitely higher than places where you bag your own and to many people that is a huge deal. Except I found sweet potatoes for 39 cents a POUND the other day at Publix. WOW!! Now their pears are on sale and they are the sweetest....

One more note. Publix now has a flyer. The other day if you purchased a BP gas card for $50 and then spent $25 on checkout (groceries etc) there was a coupon for $10 OFF the gas card. So you got a $50 gas card for $40 if I am making sense. So look for the flyers!

See you at Publix Tootsie :wave: I'll be the one bagging my groceries lol!

G

Last edited:

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
One thing I do not like about Publix is the fact that I have to fight to bag my own groceries. "I'll get it, thanks." "No, I'll be glad to miss." "But really, I'd rather." and so it goes every time I am in there.

I don't like to pay someone to stand around and bag my groceries. No wonder my tomatoes cost so much at Publix! And I am totally 100% capable of doing this. Everyone bags their own in Europe. Even when I lived in PA 25 yrs ago everyone did.

Now don't get me wrong. These are the NICEST people at Publix. I just think stores should have it set up where the customer gets the best price. Either have self check out, or have the cashier immediately bag the item he/she scans and then have a shopping assistance aisle for those who can not or do not want to bag their groceries.

I know this is a Walmart thread, but it has almost turned into a Publix vs Walmart at times.

G
It sounds a little like you would like Wal-Mart. Their prices are cheaper and most times you don't have a choice but to bag your own groceries. You said you think it should be set up to where the customer gets the best price, and that is what Wal-Mart has done. They give you the best price around. If you don't like their products you go to somebody like Publix and you pay more for the products they offer. This is how it works. What Publix has done is create jobs. The people that are bagging your groceries are doing their job. I am thrilled that Publix has created those jobs, and I am thrilled about Wal-Mart coming in and creating more jobs. I shop at both stores, and I am happy that I will not have to drive to Destin to shop at Wal-Mart.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
It sounds a little like you would like Wal-Mart. Their prices are cheaper and most times you don't have a choice but to bag your own groceries. You said you think it should be set up to where the customer gets the best price, and that is what Wal-Mart has done. They give you the best price around. If you don't like their products you go to somebody like Publix and you pay more for the products they offer. This is how it works. What Publix has done is create jobs. The people that are bagging your groceries are doing their job. I am thrilled that Publix has created those jobs, and I am thrilled about Wal-Mart coming in and creating more jobs. I shop at both stores, and I am happy that I will not have to drive to Destin to shop at Wal-Mart.

I too am happy I will have a choice. If both stores were right next to each other I would go into Walmart for some things and into Publix for others and then over to For The Health of It and my backyard and also online for some specialty and bulk items. I mostly shop produce since that makes up the majority of my diet so I look for fresh and good price. Sometimes Walmart falls short and sometimes Publix does as well. Sometimes the prices are better at Publix - just depends on the item (like I said on the sweet potatoes) So I will go bring my cloth bags into both places and enjoy the shopping experience! :D

It is great to have a choice! :D

G

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
You said you think it should be set up to where the customer gets the best price, and that is what Wal-Mart has done.

I've found that to be a huge myth over the years. When we moved from rural Tennessee, where we shopped at SuperWalmart, to here where we started shopping at the allegedly expensive Albertson's, our grocery bill immediately went down by 10%, even after you accounted for there being a sales tax on all food in TN. Walmart- price-gouging when they're the only name in town.

There were a couple times we ended up in the Destin one when we first moved down here, and for things we actually buy on a regular basis, they were frequently more expensive than other options. The contact lens solutions that cost me $7.49 at Target were $10.49 at Walmart, which was the same price I'd pay per bottle at Publix. Other non-mainstream grocery items and cleaning products also were frequently cheaper at Target or Publix/Albertson's.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I've found that to be a huge myth over the years. When we moved from rural Tennessee, where we shopped at SuperWalmart, to here where we started shopping at the allegedly expensive Albertson's, our grocery bill immediately went down by 10%, even after you accounted for there being a sales tax on all food in TN. Walmart- price-gouging when they're the only name in town.

There were a couple times we ended up in the Destin one when we first moved down here, and for things we actually buy on a regular basis, they were frequently more expensive than other options. The contact lens solutions that cost me $7.49 at Target were $10.49 at Walmart, which was the same price I'd pay per bottle at Publix. Other non-mainstream grocery items and cleaning products also were frequently cheaper at Target or Publix/Albertson's.

You are right, it is not always the best price. But I keep a strict budget with receipts on all purchases and I can tell you that Publix produce is consistently higher than Walmart's - for the majority of the items. Always exceptions. Tomatoes, avocados, potatoes, bananas are generally higher at Publix. I want the best looking produce for the money, that's why it is great to have a choice. :D

G

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I too am happy I will have a choice. If both stores were right next to each other I would go into Walmart for some things and into Publix for others and then over to For The Health of It and my backyard and also online for some specialty and bulk items. I mostly shop produce since that makes up the majority of my diet so I look for fresh and good price. Sometimes Walmart falls short and sometimes Publix does as well. Sometimes the prices are better at Publix - just depends on the item (like I said on the sweet potatoes) So I will go bring my cloth bags into both places and enjoy the shopping experience! :D

It is great to have a choice! :D

G
Gidget, you are obviously a great shopper.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Gidget - Publix has some great deals if you are willing to put in the effort and plan ahead. I have a whole section of cupboard that is just where I store my BOGO items.

Another Sowaller posted this link so we can check their flyer online/by store location and save some trees:

Publix - Weekly Ad

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Gidget - Publix has some great deals if you are willing to put in the effort and plan ahead. I have a whole section of cupboard that is just where I store my BOGO items.

Another Sowaller posted this link so we can check their flyer online/by store location and save some trees:

Publix - Weekly Ad

Hard to plan ahead with my grocery list. Seriously, my list is 99% produce. Not many coupons for that.(I did just buy those pears though and they were the BEST!) It is basically just LOOKING and seeing what is fresh when I shop. I mean I eat fruit for bfast (sometimes by way of green smoothie) snack on sweet potatoes, have huge salad for lunch and at supper usually brown rice or quinoa with veggies prepared some exotic way. I don't deviate much from that. Once a week grass fed bison or fish (if I feel like having animal products) And the only eggs I will buy are Renee's - and I usually only use one or two a week.

Getting that garden going as best I can too so that I can eat more and more of my OWN produce. Surely though, in this lot I can't grow everything.

Andy - I have been SOOO tempted to "pick", by cloak of night sky, some of that beautiful Swiss Chard at the entrance to White Cliffs ;-);-) But I have resisted 100% - it is so gorgeous though!

G

PS Thanks for tip on flyer being online - I like that!!

Last edited:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
and many of them are literally friends.. something I've never experienced in a Walmart. ever..

While building, we lived in Destin, and I can tell you that I made friends as quick as ever at WM. The gal Becca at self check out is terrific and the management was quick to help with a problem I had cashing a money order. Also, I lost a receipt and called WM and 2 days later I had a copy with a hand written note saying let her know if they can ever help in any way.

Back in LA we were so close to the people working at WM that we were all misty eyed when I left.

So i truly think they have great people at both locations. :wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
That is so funny!! :D You are right, I guess we just have different expectations and needs. It certainly doesn't stop me from shopping at Publix, I was there yesterday. But the prices are most definitely higher than places where you bag your own and to many people that is a huge deal. Except I found sweet potatoes for 39 cents a POUND the other day at Publix. WOW!! Now their pears are on sale and they are the sweetest....

One more note. Publix now has a flyer. The other day if you purchased a BP gas card for $50 and then spent $25 on checkout (groceries etc) there was a coupon for $10 OFF the gas card. So you got a $50 gas card for $40 if I am making sense. So look for the flyers!

See you at Publix Tootsie :wave: I'll be the one bagging my groceries lol!

G

hey G:

welcome to the beach.:D beach prices are definitely higher for food, clothing and everything. its the way it is. which is why many around here will welcome Walmart, and I don't blame 'em. I still prefer Publix any day of the year for quality, customer service and shopping for those things I need rather than those things I don't.