• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I've always heard that we were near "the highest elevation on the Gulf".
And now I'm wondering, does that count Mexico too? Does anybody know?

The statement should be, "the highest gulf-front point along the Gulf of Mexico in the United States." It often gets shortened but you would be accurate with that statement.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I always heard it was Blue Mountain at about 34'-37', but not positive.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Seems to make sense as that spot is almost due south of the highest elevation in Florida. That honor goes to North Walton County at Britton Hill, Lakewood Park, near Paxton -- 345 feet above sea level -- the lowest high in America. Someone else would have to explain or confirm if there is any similarity in geologic era development or major similar ridges, such as the Santa Rosa Ridge, etc.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
I don't know if they're the highest point in Florida or the United States of America on the Gulf of Mexico, but I do know that "Highpointe" is NOT in Destin if they are in Walton County. They need to change their promo/advertising to a South Walton address or place. Destin is in Okaloosa County.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm still curious if Blue Mountain is the highest point on the entire Gulf or just in the United States...

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
:D Actually I saw it post construction.

It was initially surveyed in 1872 for any history buffs out there. Here are the coordinates if anyone is interested to check and see if it still exists.

30 20 22.11064 N
086 12 16.52674 W

Do you think we might need a current survey? :D In 1872 that part of Walton County was actually in Washington County. If that is first, then what's second. I heard a natural dune around Deer Lake, "K2" hits a pretty high mark.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
There is a small group of mountains between Coatzacoalcos and Tlacotapan, southeast of Veracruz, Mexico I am sure would qualify as the highest point on the Gulf. They are definitely much higher than any point on the U.S. coast.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Do you think we might need a current survey? :D In 1872 that part of Walton County was actually in Washington County. If that is first, then what's second. I heard a natural dune around Deer Lake, "K2" hits a pretty high mark.

Oh, it's been surveyed since along with other nearby locations. Since you like history, did you know that the first comprehensive survey of the US Gulf Coast was started on Dauphin Island around the mid 1850's. While there had been numerous surveys done along areas of the coast, they were either spotty in location or were of questionable quality. Dauphin Island was chosen as the starting point in the Gulf. At the time, the island was almost perfectly straight and they measured from Ft. Gaines to the end (which I believe was seven miles). Then they used surveying techniques to transfer that 7 mile distance along the southeast as a "benchmark." Curiously enough, this work was undertaken by A.D. Bache, who was Benjamin Franklin's grandson.

Some say there was a conspiracy involved in all this though. First, the U.S. Government began this enhanced surveying project in the South. the initial survey had been bogged down in the northeast and had inadequate funding, staffing, etc. Second, the project was started around Ft. Gaines and Ft. Morgan (i.e. the entrance to Mobile Bay). Third, it was started right around the time of the Civil War when the Union needed detailed maps of the Confederacy's shoreline.... :scratch:

Don't know if it's true, but a few Alabamians sure do. :D

Last edited: