• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
From Joan Saucier

An open letter to Commissioner Cecilia Jones:

I am writing regarding the recent decision by the Walton County Commission to consider a public/private partnership between the Board of County Commissioners and the Walton County Chamber of Commerce for interim (or long-term) management of the Tourist Development Council.

I was a council member of the TDC for over 10 years (1994 ? 2005) when I worked for Abbott/ResortQuest, the largest bed tax collector in Walton County.

During that time, I gained valuable understanding of how the TDC operates and its relationship to the Board of County Commissioners.
The structure of the TDC works, even if there may be issues with the director (of which I have heard through the ?grapevine?.)

The bed tax collectors, individually and through their partnerships with the TDC, generate the bed tax revenue. These professionals are solely focused on tourism and the hospitality industry. The Walton County Chamber of Commerce has neither this singular focus nor this expertise.

The Tourist Development Council members are very capable of being the search committee to narrow down the selection process so that the best-qualified tourism professionals can be interviewed.

They can then present a manageable number of qualified candidates to the Board of Commissioners.

The TDC has a history of attracting high-quality tourists to Walton County. Our extensive dune walkover system, our name-branding of the Beaches of South Walton, our beach nourishment program, and the continual success of our bed tax collectors to partner with the TDC are significant.

Many TDCs cannot boast of the successes that the Walton County TDC can in its 25-year history. This is an organizational structure that works best for tourism in Walton County. And tourism is the economic engine that drives the Walton County economy.

We must immediately begin the search for a qualified professional. And the TDC members, who are best focused on tourism, are the most qualified to carry out that search.
Thank you for your consideration.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
So is this the timeline:

1. March 17,2010: Document generated to place COC over TDC because the TDC Director suddenly retired.
2. April 1, 2010: TDC Director suddenly retires.
3. April 9, 2010: County Attorney is directed to generate a draft agreement for COC to assume operation of TDC.

Is this correct or have I missed something?

There was another thread on this topic and I believe it mentioned a couple of things left off this timeline --

1. A lobbying trip for federal funding by county staff, commissioners, and the Chamber President to DC in early March.

2. Abrupt resignation by the director of Economic Development, employed less than one year.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
County commissioners' meeting today

Walton County Board of County Commissioners meeting at 4 p.m. today (April 27) in the Walton County Courthouse, DeFuniak Springs. On the agenda is discussion and possible action on a proposed agreement with Dawn Moliterno for interim management of the South Walton Tourist Development Council (TDC). Driftwood Estates drainage issues and an airport overlay district will also be discussed, along with a number of other items. A link to the meeting agenda follows: http://www.co.walton.fl.us/archives/47/April 27 2010bcc wlinks.pdf.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Walton County Board of County Commissioners meeting at 4 p.m. today (April 27) in the Walton County Courthouse, DeFuniak Springs. On the agenda is discussion and possible action on a proposed agreement with Dawn Moliterno for interim management of the South Walton Tourist Development Council (TDC). Driftwood Estates drainage issues and an airport overlay district will also be discussed, along with a number of other items. A link to the meeting agenda follows: http://www.co.walton.fl.us/archives/47/April 27 2010bcc wlinks.pdf.
This is a very nice thing for you to do. Hopefully, it will encourage citizens to participate in their local government. The agenda link is an outstanding help for us computer illiterates. Thank you!

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
You're very welcome, but most thanks are due to the county administration and citizen services who provide this information on the Walton County Web site, www.co.walton.fl.us. Information on the commission meetings is always available there, usually by the Thursday preceding the second and fourth Tuesday county commission meetings.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Yes, I am aware of the Walton county site and do frequent it but many are not aware of all that is available to us so your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Controversy Continues with the Walton County TDC

Walton County Commissioners voted 3-1 Tuesday night to appoint Walton County Chamber President Dawn Moliterno as the Interim Executive Director of the Walton TDC.

Tonight's Walton County Commission meeting became heated at times when discussing an Interim Tourist Development Council Director.

Members of the Walton County Tax-Payers Association and local bed tax collector's grilled commissioners over a newly discovered severance package for retiring TDC Director Sonny Mares.

But the biggest issue is the terms for replacing Mares.
Walton County Commissioners voted 3-1 Tuesday night to appoint Walton County Chamber President Dawn Moliterno as the Interim Executive Director of the Walton TDC.

But commissioners tabled a vote on the management agreement they drafted last week that set-out the terms for Moliterno's service. Some in the audience became outraged when the commission tried to change the temporary 6-month agreement to 1-year.

Jeanne Dailey is President of Newman-Dailey Resort Properties and says she can’t believe commissioners did not give the decision more thought.

"We really are disappointed as bed tax collectors that the amount of money that we bring into the county, and we have absolutely no vote? Truthfully, tonight, they listened, but we really didn't have a voice at all” Dailey says.

There was also confusion over when the search for a permanent replacement would begin.

Fellow bed tax collector Timothy Taylor is President of Ocean Reef Resorts and says he thinks the agreement did not address critical issues.

"We felt like there were not metrics or benchmarks established on how to judge the position and re-writing the job description for the Executive Director.

We are also disappointed that there was no mention of a nationwide search when they adopted this resolution of a search. “So, it's our understanding that it's just her job and as long as she serves at the pleasure of Walton County Commissioners. We didn't see anything that indicated they were willing to go on a nationwide search”, says Taylor.

Moliterno diffused the argument, at least temporarily, by asking commissioners to move on.

"Take the management agreement off the table. The Chamber stands ready to support you as we've said all along. Unfortunately, there's been a great deal of misunderstanding, innuendos, and really bad comments to an organization, and even to myself, not deserving" says Moliterno in her defense.

More controversy erupted over the circumstance of former Executive Director Sonny Mares' departure; but members of the taxpayers' association didn't get an answer.
Bob Hudson, President of the Tax-Payers Association, addressed commissioners with some tough truths.

"We also found out this week that Mr. Mares is still under contract with Walton County. He retired, but we are continuing his salary and benefits for six months... and I have to ask why?"

District 4 Commissioner Sara Comander tried to keep the heated conversation on track.

"We're trying to discuss another subject right now, could that be brought up later? We're discussing the TDC Director" Comander says.

Controversy aside, Moliterno says she's ready to step up to the plate.
"I’m telling you today if you would like me to go forward and be considered for that role than I stand here ready to serve" Moliterno says.

So far, the county has not met our requests for Sonny Mares' separation agreement or a forensic accounting audit of TDC spending under Mares' management.