• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jomoty

Beach Comber
Mar 2, 2010
In your opinion, what is the most coveted area to stay for a week in the South Walton area and why? I'm trying to decide where to rent for a week!

Thanks in advance for your opinions... they mean a lot! :D

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
It really depends on what you want. Each beach community (I think there are 13) and each area of 30A has its own benefits. So, if you posted what you like/don't like, that would help.

For example, if you want to be where the action is and want to walk to a lot of restaurants and shops, there are some communities that fit that. Along with that, comes traffic and congestion, especially in the summer. I

If you want peace and quiet, then there are other communities for that. But where there's peace and quiet you'll have fewer restaurants/activitites/shops within walking distance. Though it's nice not to have as much traffic in the quiet communities.

If you are willing to pay a lot for a week, there are places that fit that; there are also places where you don't pay as much yet are still very nice.

How close do you want to be to a pool, beach? Are porches important to you. Do you like separate buildings (e.g., cottages) or are you happy with condos? Do you want to be closer to Panama City or Destin?

If you decide not to stay in one of the more expensive communities (e.g., Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Watersound, Watercolor, Seaside), which of these communities do you want to be near (e.g., within walking distance or a short drive) so that you can go to their concerts, outdoor movies, shops, restaurants? Are you going with young kids or older kids or no kids?

There are so many great things about so many of the communities, you need to think about what you're looking for. What works great for one person/family may not work as well for another. Heck, wherever you stay you'll have a great time and then you can explore different areas while you're here.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
WOW Paula great response. That really helps break it down. We just sort of went at it randomly after we discovered Grayton would not work for us. That is a great method.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
I am curious as to why Grayton didn't work for you? We have stayed there and keep it as an option if our other 'favs' are booked. Thank you and Happy Derby, Ellen

NE SoWaller

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
There are also many private residences that can be rented via sites like VRBO.com that have very nice and inexpensive homes available. They are not necessarily in the middle of a town, but nothing on 30a is a far drive. It allows you to enjoy the area, without have to spend a ton of dough.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
I am curious as to why Grayton didn't work for you? We have stayed there and keep it as an option if our other 'favs' are booked. Thank you and Happy Derby, Ellen

It just got tricky. We are 2 families. We need a pool. must be within walking distance. To get what we needed in a price we could afford was just not available the days we are looking.