• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lu

Beach Crab
May 1, 2010
:wave: Hello!

Forgive me if you've read this kind of thing many times before, but I wanted to introduce myself and ask some questions about your community.

A little background: I'm a writer and studio artist in New York, but - after many years - I've had plenty of the city (not hard to do). A very good friend who knows me well said that Grayton Beach might be just the kind of place I should seriously consider for relocating and starting a new chapter.

Although there is plenty of online information about your area as a wonderful vacation place, I'm more interested in hearing from any residents who could spare this poor newcomer a little time, information, thoughts or insider hints on what it's like to be a real resident and an engaged member of your community. Because this is not a mere whim but a true desire on my part to relocate, to move closer to the ocean, to move back to the South, and to be able to contribute to & be an active person in a place that welcomes creative types (who also work hard!), I assure you that I sincerely appreciate any observations, neighborhood recommendations, year-round rental advice and all that etc. that you may be willing to send my way.

Thank you in advance, and I really do look forward to reading anything you have to say.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
:welcome: Lu!

I used to live in NYC and worked in the fashion industry. I relocated here permanently in '96 and absolutely love it. It's a wonderfully warm and creative community.

You may have to 'bump' this post a few times to get responses. We're all really upset and consumed with the oil spill. Please don't take it personally if you don't receive too many replies right away.

Just keep coming on the site and reply to your thread with a 'bump' and it will keep coming up as a new post.

Again :welcome:.

Lu

Beach Crab
May 1, 2010
thanks!

Thanks! I'm not familiar with the interface here and have no idea how to 'bump' my initial post, but I appreciate your reply.

I understand that most people are, understandably, preoccupied & concerned with the oil spill, but I wanted you to know that I saw and welcomed your post. Thanks for taking the time and for your encouragement about the move :D I love fashion & of course consider design one of the creative arts, so I already feel even a little closer to a kindred spirit than I did an hour ago.

:welcome: Lu!

I used to live in NYC and worked in the fashion industry. I relocated here permanently in '96 and absolutely love it. It's a wonderfully warm and creative community.

You may have to 'bump' this post a few times to get responses. We're all really upset and consumed with the oil spill. Please don't take it personally if you don't receive too many replies right away.

Just keep coming on the site and reply to your thread with a 'bump' and it will keep coming up as a new post.

Again :welcome:.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
:welcome:Lu! You'll find many kindred spirits right here I'm sure.

sisters4

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2005
Lu: I do not live there but have gone to 30A for many years and find it to be a friendly, interesting area. What attracts me there the most are the beaches and water. I was just there with my husband and he said to me "Is it me or does the air here smell extra good?" I harbor a fantasy of chucking it all and relocating but I would really miss the seasons, however, I live for the 2 x a year I come there. Have you ever been down there? Good luck!

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Lu: I do not live there but have gone to 30A for many years and find it to be a friendly, interesting area. What attracts me there the most are the beaches and water. I was just there with my husband and he said to me "Is it me or does the air here smell extra good?" I harbor a fantasy of chucking it all and relocating but I would really miss the seasons, however, I live for the 2 x a year I come there. Have you ever been down there? Good luck!

We have seasons in this part of Florida!! (That was important to me too!)
It's a bit subtler than further north, but I still get to wear my beloved sweaters & cowboy boots! Temps got down in the 20's (windchills in the teens) this winter. My cypress tree turns a lovely bronze and drops it leaves. I like season changes, however I do NOT miss shoveling winter.:D

Lu

Beach Crab
May 1, 2010
Depending on what type of writer you are, Sowal could be a treasure trove of characters! :wave:

That's exactly the kind of writer I am... all about the characters. Thank you for answering my post and even some of my hunches, scooterbug.