• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

brewer

Beach Crab
May 12, 2010
While on vacation, I love reading novels based on the area. For example, before discovering 30A we vacationed on Isle of Palms in South Carolina. I loved reading "beach reads" by Mary Alice Monroe and Dorothea Benton Frank.

Are there any great "beach reads" set in this area?

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
The Sunday Wife author is Cassandra King she's Pat Conroy's wife. Local author? don't think so.

Last edited:

desertbluff

Beach Lover
Feb 6, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I love Cassandra King's novels. Read The Sunday Wife when I was here two years ago and am currently reading The Queen of Broken Hearts, which is set in Fairhope, AL. As I recall, The Sunday Wife was based on the SoWal area............even references Modica market but by another similar sounding name. I bought my books at Sundog Books in Seaside.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
I love Cassandra King's novels. Read The Sunday Wife when I was here two years ago and am currently reading The Queen of Broken Hearts, which is set in Fairhope, AL. As I recall, The Sunday Wife was based on the SoWal area............even references Modica market but by another similar sounding name. I bought my books at Sundog Books in Seaside.

Well, on page 2, she comes out with this gem, which might send some Graytonites running for the tar and feathers: "If the neighboring Seaside is a fairly-tale kingdom, then Grayton Beach is the enchanted forest, hiding the little people.":rotfl:

Little People of Grayton, unite!!! You have nothing to lose but your stilts and platform heels!!!:funn: