• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jomoty

Beach Comber
Mar 2, 2010
I would love to know in your opinions where the best places are to snorkel and or to look for shells?

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
I love snorking the jetty at St. Andrews St Park. You can snorkle the ocean side or the tidepool side. Lots of people and scuba classes snorkle on the ocean pass side but also LOTS of sharks. I have been told that the snorkleing is good in Destin but have no infor on that. Shell island has the reputation of good no information on this either. Of course their is always Sanabel and Captiva for the avid sheller. Have fun....

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Cape San Blas/St. Joseph's Peninsula, Indian Pass and St. Vincent's all have pretty good shelling (not like Sanibel though). We have boxes of cockles from our last trip. Shell Island has lots of shells, most broken pieces in our experience. Decent shells are infrequent in SoWal.

jomoty

Beach Comber
Mar 2, 2010
Thank you .. thank you...

Thank you so much for your valuable info! Much appreciated!!!:D

live4vacation99

Beach Comber
Jan 25, 2007
For shelling, we found pretty nice ones around Mexico Beach just past Tyndall AFB. We just drove along 98, stopped and ate at a place along the beach (I think called Al's) and then stopped to shell for a little while along the public beaches which were deserted.

As for snorkeling, as a kid, we always stayed in the Destin Pointe neighborhood that is located at just about the end of Gulf Shore Dr. We were surprised to find that several years ago, we did a snorkel adventure on one of those party boats and that was the same place they took us too. About 6 other companies were there at the same time as well. Anyway, we figured out a way to get there a few years ago by driving a little furthur up Golf Shore drive but I don't know if that way is available anymore (they seemed like empty lots that we cut through and walked down the shore).

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
For shelling, we found pretty nice ones around Mexico Beach just past Tyndall AFB. We just drove along 98, stopped and ate at a place along the beach (I think called Al's) and then stopped to shell for a little while along the public beaches which were deserted.

As for snorkeling, as a kid, we always stayed in the Destin Pointe neighborhood that is located at just about the end of Gulf Shore Dr. We were surprised to find that several years ago, we did a snorkel adventure on one of those party boats and that was the same place they took us too. About 6 other companies were there at the same time as well. Anyway, we figured out a way to get there a few years ago by driving a little furthur up Golf Shore drive but I don't know if that way is available anymore (they seemed like empty lots that we cut through and walked down the shore).

Drive out along Holiday Isle untill you see the Osteen (something like that) public access. You can park on the street. Walk out the narrow path to the beach. The jetties are about 200 yards down the beach to the left...

Last edited:

LowProfiling

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
Sandestin
I came across some youtube video's by this guy Mike who lives down there and seems to do a lot of snorkeling

Last edited by a moderator: