• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

nblack

Beach Crab
May 18, 2010
My wife and I visit SoWal every year (from our home in Cincinnati), and aside from the beautiful beaches one of our favorite things to do is to enjoy the local cuisine. I tend to avoid eating at large chain locations, as we love fresh, local food whenever possible.

South Walton is a perfect match for us because of the large number of local places that serve great local items. I'm a huge seafood fan (I try to avoid eating anything but when I go for a beach visit.) My wife isn't so much.

My main question is - has the oil spill affected the local fishing areas to the point that local places have had to change what they are serving or revise their menus? I would think that there are enough places around to fish, but I'm sure it will be affected as everything is by this horrible spill.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Our countdown to the yearly trip is just around 5 weeks away!!!

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Just got back after 11 days down there. The fish and shrimp were local, tasty, and fresh. The beaches and water were clean and clear. Looks like the area may dodge the bullet as it appears that the loop current is starting to carry off the oil towards the Keys and the Atlantic. It sux no matter how you slice it, but at least our area is looking really good right now...

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
A few days ago I had a couple dozen of the best Appalach oysters @Hurricane that I have had in a while. Perfect size and salinity. Come to think of it...happy hour there starts in about an hour...might have to go back today.

rheffron

Beach Fanatic
Jan 17, 2008
Hey, I am originally from NKY. We have been spared any consequences, so come on down!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
No changes to local menus or local fishing.

The boats are still going out, there is still no oil or restrictions near us, and the seafood and oysters are yummy!

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
My wife and I visit SoWal every year (from our home in Cincinnati), and aside from the beautiful beaches one of our favorite things to do is to enjoy the local cuisine. I tend to avoid eating at large chain locations, as we love fresh, local food whenever possible.

we are back and forth from cincinnati as well (taking care of grandma!) and are headed down this saturday. looking forward to wonderful food and lovely beaches. can't wait!! :D

Ari Silverstein

Beach Lover
May 2, 2010
No changes to local menus or local fishing.

:yikes:

Oil slick plagues local fishing industry | panama, city, plagues - News - The News Herald

"Restaurants and venders from Atlanta to New York are calling nonstop worried about availability of their orders, he said. As the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration continues to close popular fishing grounds affected by the oil spill, those in the fishing business are likely to fall short on meeting demand.

Shrimp and blue crab prices already have jumped, Abrams said. Steve Rash, who owns Water Street Seafood in Apalachicola, said he also is failing to fill orders.

?The industry is kind of in a tailspin right now,? Rash said.

The slick is limiting supplies of crabs, oysters, shrimp and fish, Rash said. Should the oil get into oysters, it could take 20 years for beds to recover, captains said.

?Better buy all the seafood you can, because it?s not going to come from the Gulf of Mexico,? said Capt. Tim Chaffin of the Raw Dawg."

:blink:

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
We had a great local seafood spread ON the beach Sunday and it was a perfect day! Come on down and enjoy the beautiful beach!:wave:

weimowner

Beach Lover
Jan 2, 2008
As a restaraunteur... It's effected the cover counts. Not as many visitors as we were hoping for based on the spring break crowds. Seemed there was great energy building and now it's kind of softened. Thoughts??

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
We had a great local seafood spread ON the beach Sunday and it was a perfect day! Come on down and enjoy the beautiful beach!:wave:

Hmmm,

My tummy is still in heaven from the oysters and scallops.:dothewave:

But seriousy, I do hope that our visitors aren't scared away from eating our local seafood and supporting the restaurants and seafood industry.
I know that both have taken a hit as a result of the spill.