• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
What are people doing for local channels? I need to have DTV for out of town football games...I have submitted waivers to the local stations (I live in SRB) to get the east coast locals. Anyone know if they will approve these? If not, can a good antenna pick up the local networks?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I have no need for locals but I do have waivers for all the networks. It has been noted here that waivers are tougher now so you may have to insist a bit.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
Thanks Kurt.

I searched and found some info on here from a couple of years ago......do you have any suggestion as far as "insisting"? Any idea how can I lean on them a bit?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I searched and found some info on here from a couple of years ago......do you have any suggestion as far as "insisting"? Any idea how can I lean on them a bit?

Not sure since I haven't had to go through it for awhile. But from past dealings I'd say they probably are happy for you to pay for the networks (their surcharge) instead of getting free locals, they just need to jump through the hoops set up for them. If they give you any problem just let them know most of the people in your area have waivers because antennas are marginal.

lms47

Beach Lover
Apr 23, 2008
Freeport, FL
If "leaning" fails, when we had DTV, we used a dish enhancer, for a lack of technical term, and it looked like a bent coathanger we placed on the top rim of the satellite dish. It allowed us to receive PCB channel 7 , 13 and Mobile 4. I will PM you a link to the website if I am able to locate it as It has been about 8 years since we had DTV> just a thought.

klauricella

Beach Lover
Dec 19, 2007
Freeport
We had to call many times to get the local channels with DirectTV. We finally got East and West Coast FOX and CBS. I have not tried lately for ABC or NBC. I guess I just got used to watching my shows on the computer :roll:

cheesehead

Beach Lover
Jul 28, 2008
30a
You can get all locals, except cbs, if you have dish. And, if you have a dvr, a $30.00 attenna, from wal-mart will pull in ch 3. Direct tv, forget them. Don't think they'll ever offer locals.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I'm just across the county line, and with Directv we get the Pensacola-Mobile locals in high definition just fine to the point where we dropped out east coast/west coast feeds last year. (Only reason we kept them as long as we did was that I was addicted to 'Good Day L.A.' when I worked swing shift and had mornings off.)

Directv would love you to be able to sell you the distant networks; it's just they're legally not allowed to if they offer a comprable local network channel. There was a fairly long period of time when they could be pretty lax about who qualified for distant networks but they've had external pressure to crack down and be more compliant with the law in that regard.

We originally got our waiver when we lived in BFE Tennessee in the 90s, and they kind of let it float when we moved down here because we were existing customers (I think we had to fill out like one piece of paper to get ABC WEAR at one point). But for a couple years before we cancelled, we were told a couple of times that we could lose distant networks at any time because we could now get Mobile-Pensacola locals and under the law... blah, blah, blah.

But they just never got around to cancelling those for our system, and I suspect they would have continued to just let them slide until the FCC noticed. They are much, much stricter on giving out new waivers and we couldn't get our distant networks back if we tried.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
I'm just across the county line, and with Directv we get the Pensacola-Mobile locals in high definition just fine to the point where we dropped out east coast/west coast feeds last year. (Only reason we kept them as long as we did was that I was addicted to 'Good Day L.A.' when I worked swing shift and had mornings off.)

Directv would love you to be able to sell you the distant networks; it's just they're legally not allowed to if they offer a comprable local network channel. There was a fairly long period of time when they could be pretty lax about who qualified for distant networks but they've had external pressure to crack down and be more compliant with the law in that regard.

We originally got our waiver when we lived in BFE Tennessee in the 90s, and they kind of let it float when we moved down here because we were existing customers (I think we had to fill out like one piece of paper to get ABC WEAR at one point). But for a couple years before we cancelled, we were told a couple of times that we could lose distant networks at any time because we could now get Mobile-Pensacola locals and under the law... blah, blah, blah.

But they just never got around to cancelling those for our system, and I suspect they would have continued to just let them slide until the FCC noticed. They are much, much stricter on giving out new waivers and we couldn't get our distant networks back if we tried.

So does this mean I should be asking them to provide me with the Mobile/Pensacola channels? They are insisting they don't offer any locals here; if that's the case, shouldn't I qualify for the distant locals? I dont care which ones I have, I just would like to have one or the other...

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
If they don't give local channels, and it appears they don't anywhere in Walton County unless you're one of the handful of people with a Niceville zip, then you should be able to get a distant stations waiver. But you may also need to get specific waivers from local stations in order to do so, and they can be rather stingy about giving new waivers.