• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lisaseer

Beach Lover
May 5, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach FL
I just found out that the Driver's Ed class has been cancelled due to budget cuts. I was hoping my son would be able to attend. I have been sensing that the Walton County School System is regressing back to when we moved here in 1995. That's when we only had one school (Bay Elementary with 110 students) in South Walton. The only problem is that we have more school buildings and children now. I am glad my son only has one year left to graduate. Something seems to be changing with our school system.

Last edited:

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
walton county has been very lucky. they cancelled drivers ed in our school system 10 years ago.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I just found out that the Driver's Ed class has been cancelled due to budget cuts. I was hoping my son would be able to attend. I have been sensing that the Walton County School System is regressing back to when we moved here in 1995. That's when we only had one school (Bay Elementary with 110 students) in South Walton. The only problem is that we have more school buildings and children now. I am glad my son only has one year left to graduate. Something seems to be changing with our school system.

Florida Virtual School offers Driver's Ed.

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village

Agreed, Walton County is regressing in the schools and my son has 1 year left as well at SWHS and my daughter has been homeschooling through Florida Virtual School for 3 years now and has 3 more to go. Next thing is hoping the new Florida State College will be better.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
I was not happy when my son came home again today with Algebra homework for his algebra class AND Algebra worksheets for homework in Research (same teacher for both classes). I've struggled with SWHS since we started here but it is getting worse I think. I have one kid who consistently sleeps in class (and one day had a friend plug in a straightener and straighten her very long hair). I love and respect teachers but I am not happy with what I have been seeing.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
My son has one year left as well, and while I'm not always happy and it makes me crazy that he brings up one grade only to have another one drop and he doesn't wind up with the classes I want him in, I thank God and Walton County every day for South Walton High School.

Not to slam the other Walton County schools...I'm a Freeport grad and Fuzz is a Walton grad, and we love our alma maters except when South Walton competes against them. It's just that many people who have moved here in the last 5 - 10 years have no idea what a struggle it was to get K - 12 education south of the bay.

But, the simple fact remains is that there are, by necessity, severe budget cuts happening in virtually every aspect of Walton County government, including the schools. We all hate to see anything cut in the schools. It may get worse before it gets better, if it gets better.

If it helps, driver's ed did help my son to get his DL, but completing it hasn't saved us one dime on our insurance. :sosad:

My son has one year left as well, and while I'm not always happy and it makes me crazy that he brings up one grade only to have another one drop and he doesn't wind up with the classes I want him in, I thank God and Walton County every day for South Walton High School.

Not to slam the other Walton County schools...I'm a Freeport grad and Fuzz is a Walton grad, and we love our alma maters except when South Walton competes against them. It's just that many people who have moved here in the last 5 - 10 years have no idea what a struggle it was to get K - 12 education south of the bay.

But, the simple fact remains is that there are, by necessity, severe budget cuts happening in virtually every aspect of Walton County government, including the schools. We all hate to see anything cut in the schools. It may get worse before it gets better, if it gets better.

If it helps, driver's ed did help my son to get his DL, but completing it hasn't saved us one dime on our insurance. :sosad:

I understand the need for budget cuts but this program seems to help a wide array of students. I would rather see some of the offerings that cater to a narrow group of students go before this program. Just one opinion.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I understand the need for budget cuts but this program seems to help a wide array of students. I would rather see some of the offerings that cater to a narrow group of students go before this program. Just one opinion.

One would think that, but at SWHS, driver ed is/was a summer program for which there is a small number of openings - I think it was either 12 or 15. It is not offered during the regular school year, and you had to get on a list, first come, first served.