• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Dogs are only allowed on the beach with permits, on leashes, and during certain hours. The MHWL does not apply to dogs, only humans.

I swim in Eastern Lake, but do so near the outfall - think the further away from there one gets, the higher the likelihood of meeting a gator or huge snake (which is also why I do not venture north of the bridge in a small craft).

I haven't spent any time on Eastern Lake, but a fair bit on Western Lake. While I revel at its beauty, something instinctively tells me it's for other creatures besides me.

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
I haven't spent any time on Eastern Lake, but a fair bit on Western Lake. While I revel at its beauty, something instinctively tells me it's for other creatures besides me.
Well, now that a Yolo boarding business is on Eastern Lake North, complete with lessons and races and family days, I hope those instinctively sensed creatures aren't marginalized.
Scooterbug, you said
huge snake (which is also why I do not venture north of the bridge in a small craft).
What is known about these huge snakes? I've been on E Lake N in canoe monthly and small inflatable kayak sometimes and have only seen one snake, swimming away fast. Someone said it was a black racer, harmless.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Well, now that a Yolo boarding business is on Eastern Lake North, complete with lessons and races and family days, I hope those instinctively sensed creatures aren't marginalized.
Scooterbug, you said

What is known about these huge snakes? I've been on E Lake N in canoe monthly and small inflatable kayak sometimes and have only seen one snake, swimming away fast. Someone said it was a black racer, harmless.

All I need to know about large snakes/alligators is that they automatically get control of anywhere that I see them. Since Dunelaker and I met a HUGE snake over there several years ago, I chose to stick to the area near the outfall.

I don't swim in Western Lake, but do enjoy kayaking and Yoloing there. It's all relative I guess.

Last edited:

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I grew up swimming back and forth across Stallworth Lake to get to the beach. There was always a cold spot out in the middle that made you kick a little faster. That black water will make your mind wander a bit when you're out in the middle. :eek: I can tell you you right now that I will never do it again.

Swim at your own risk. That being said, just enjoy the lake and stop worrying. Your more likely to drown from a pontoon boat or worse, a cramp after lunch. Snakes, gators and sharks hurting you in Eastern Lake is more rare than getting electrocuted during a storm. Dont let rules, regulations and policies hold you back from enjoying a beautiful lake. Have fun, your on vacation.