• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Sakamano

Beach Comber
Dec 5, 2005
Anybody I have given this way, has taken it and never gone a different way since. From East Montgomery (Taylor Road)to the bridge it is 2:30-2:40 regardless of the time of day or day of the week.

From Montgomery:

Take 231 South to Troy

In Troy, take a right on Hwy #87 to Elba (Country?s BBQ)

Go 10 Miles or so and when you hit a fork in the road veer right (STAY ON 87)

You are now headed to Elba which should be about 25 miles

When you get into Elba take a right at CR #203 (the first 4-way stop intersection)

Go thru 2 Stop lights and you will come to a dead end and go RIGHT on AL Highway #189

You are now headed toward Perry Store Community which is about 7 miles outside of Elba.

You should come to a 4 way stop. STAY STRAIGHT

Go approximately 5 miles and go left on CR #473 (look for a small Kinston City Limit sign that should be on your right and a rickety stick holding up an electric fence is to your left by a cow pasture)

Stay straight until you dead end. Go Left on AL Highway # 52

Go about 5-10 miles and take a right towards Defuniak Springs on Highway #153. 153 will turn into 83 @ the Florida Line.

Stay on 83 into Defuniak Springs.

Take a right @ the stop light onto 90 and go about ? mile.

Get in the left lane and take a left on Highway 331. Stay on 331 thru Defuniak Springs and Freeport.

Go over the 331 Bridge and you've made it. You know where to go from here.

Should take 2.5 hours from Montgomery to the bridge.

pattymcbob

Beach Lover
Dec 3, 2008
We do the 189, Kinston route but first take 331 from Montg. through Luverne & Brantley. I can't wait to try this route the next time & compare.
Thanks, Bob!

Anybody I have given this way, has taken it and never gone a different way since. From East Montgomery (Taylor Road)to the bridge it is 2:30-2:40 regardless of the time of day or day of the week.

From Montgomery:

Take 231 South to Troy

Yare now headed to Elba which should be about 25 miles

When you get into Elba take a right at CR #203 (the first 4-way stop intersection)

Go thru 2 Stop lights and you will come to a dead end and go RIGHT on AL Highway #189

You are now headed toward Perry Store Community which is about 7 miles outside of Elba.

Go approximately 5 miles and go left on CR #473 (look for a small Kinston City Limit sign that should be on your right and a rickety stick holding up an electric fence is to your left by a cow pasture)

Go about 5-10 miles and take a right towards Defuniak Springs on Highway #153. 153 will turn into 83 @ the Florida Line.

Get in the left lane and take a left on Highway 331. Stay on 331 thru Defuniak Springs and Freeport.

port albert

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Caution

If you use the I65 to Georgiana route be aware of speed traps in Georgiana and Lockhart.

They are notorious.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis

Make sure you don't miss this veer right, or you are going to see some very interesting back roads of north walton county. :wave:

pattymcbob

Beach Lover
Dec 3, 2008
What route do you take from I65 to 231 in Montgomery?

From Montgomery:

Take 231 South to Troy

You are now headed to Elba which should be about 25 miles

jbtcardfan

Beach Comber
Apr 19, 2009
I did notice the last time we went to Destin the roads from Georgiana through Alabama were GREATLY improved...four lane, divided highways in the most rural areas you'd never expect them in a million years.

Bob Sakamano

Beach Comber
Dec 5, 2005
What route do you take from I65 to 231 in Montgomery?

I'm in Montgomery, but my Bham friends go I-65>>I-85>>Exit Taylor Rd (Exit 9)>> go right on Taylor Rd and it dead ends into 231 south>>Go left and begin my earlier directions. I do have friends in Bham that go the Georgiana route but they have kids and straight and steady on the interstate is the preference even though it is longer. My route is chopped up and after you do it enough, you know exactly how far you are from the beach at each turn and what sort of time you are making. Other than locating the roads, your GPS will not tell you to go this way. There is also a shortcut in troy to bypass a few stoplights, but I'll save it for another day. I am headed down Thursday and cannot wait.

jbtcardfan

Beach Comber
Apr 19, 2009
We are en route! Still haven't figured out what we're going to do when we get to M'gomery, but we have PLENTY of time to figure it out, lol.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
We are en route! Still haven't figured out what we're going to do when we get to M'gomery, but we have PLENTY of time to figure it out, lol.

Be careful if you go through Brantley. It is, ahem, getting to be a bit of a speed trap. Don't ask how I know this...

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
South of Montgomery route

If this route has not been mentioned yet: Travel south of Montgomery on 65. Take the Letohatchee Davenport exit. Left over interstate (97 I believe). At HWY 31 go north for just a moment. Then 97 turns back south. Meets up with 331 south of Highland Home. Then can take 331 all the way to 98 or continue on the road less traveled as discussed prior on this thread through Perry Store, Samson, Kinston down to DeFuniak Springs. There is one tricky turn that route - be sure you have a map.

Safe travels