• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Ari Silverstein

Beach Lover
May 2, 2010
Is he a repeat client? If so, then you have to weigh the future value of his business against the potential loss in the present.

If he isn't, then do not allow the cancellation. Remember, he may very well be canceling on you...but re-booking with a competitor who has dropped their rates due to the ever growing environmental catastrophe.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
IMO...you have a contract w/ this person. It should be honored. There is no oil here, and the beaches are no different then ever. If you can re-rent, refund it, if not don't. Go by the contract. That's what its for, right?

30angler

Beach Comber
Mar 13, 2010
refund the guys money if there was nothing to worry about why would BP be setting up health clinics all along the gulf coast !!!! Be a good person and do what is right !!!!! Dont trust what the govt or BP is telling you...

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
IMO...you have a contract w/ this person. It should be honored. There is no oil here, and the beaches are no different then ever. If you can re-rent, refund it, if not don't. Go by the contract. That's what its for, right?

I agree, work from the contract. Yours sounds very similar to ours as far as cancellation beyond the 'full refund' time frame and refunding any portion that can be re-rented.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I have a gentleman who has been emailing me for the past couple of weeks asking about oil spill. I have sent him updates everytime I get one and have also given him sites to go to. He sent me an email two days ago asking about when he could cancel without loosing deposit. I told him if the beaches were closed due to the oil spill I would refund his full deposit. I sent him an updated agreement stating this and asked him to initial. He never sent back. I get an email today saying that due to a family emergency they can no long come, which is less than a month away. He signed my cancellation policy which states that I will refund a deposit if I can re-rent that time for the same amount. I sent him an email saying that since it was not due to the oil spill that he needed to refer to my cancellation policy which he signed. He then sends me an email saying that it was really both. Would you refund his deposit (beaches are not closed due to spill) or stick to the cancellation policy which he initialed.?

Something I would consider when deciding what to do-

your oil refund policy was based on if the beaches were closed. not only are the beaches not closed, THE BEACHES ARE QUITE LOVELY.

Ari Silverstein

Beach Lover
May 2, 2010
IF is a big word to be so small. The beaches are not closed, so this excuse shouldn't apply, in my non-legal opinion. I'm not sure how someone can have an "emergency" in the future, especially 30 days away.

:shock:

Surgery.
Death In the family (requiring relocation or extended visit).
Cancer or similar treatment requirements.
New job...

...and a slew of other legitimate excuses.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
You have two options, follow the lease and follow it completely. The other is to refund his deposit and be rid of him. If your gut is telling you that this guy is trouble then most likely this omen shouldn't be ignored. This sounds like the kind of person who demands a refund because it rained for a few days. Do yourself a favor and be rid of the headache before it turns into a full blown migraine.