• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BC

Beach Crab
May 25, 2010
Hello SoWal,
I am a first time weekly renter in the community and have been asked to pay a deposit. I would prefer to post date a check and if my family trashes the joint then the owners may cash it after we check out - I do not want the money to come out of my account unless it is due - if this acceptable or is it normal for the owners to get money up front?
thanks,
Brian

jackie

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2006
chicago burb
Hello SoWal,
I am a first time weekly renter in the community and have been asked to pay a deposit. I would prefer to post date a check and if my family trashes the joint then the owners may cash it after we check out - I do not want the money to come out of my account unless it is due - if this acceptable or is it normal for the owners to get money up front?
thanks,
Brian

We rent for the whole winter, so that may be a bit different. Usually they take the check but don't cash it unless it's needed. I've also had them run a charge card and will charge it only if it's needed. I think it all depends on the owner or rental company. Talk to them, I've always had good luck talking and have found owners very willing to communicate.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
Hello SoWal,
thanks,
Brian

I have rented several different times. Some require a check that they sent back when everything was okay. Some did go ahead and charge my credit card with the agreement to remove it once the all clear is given.

I have rented several different times. Some require a check that they sent back when everything was okay. Some did go ahead and charge my credit card with the agreement to remove it once the all clear is given.

I'll give the owners perspective. A $500 security deposit is the standard security deposit and is almost alway collected in advance. We've been renting 25 - 30 weeks a year for 10 years. By and large most guests are good, honest, and respectful of our property. However, at least once a year we have a problem guest that causes damage which can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousands of dollars to repair. It's these problem guests that force the owners to require a security deposit from everyone. We've only had one instance of intentional damage. Most damage is accidental, and almost always caused by unsupervised children. We always charge to a credit card and then return within 3 days of departure. That way the guest has the money credited back within the same billing cycle.

From my point of view who is taking the bigger risk? The guest is giving the owner $500 and is promised it returned when they leave the place unharmed. The owners is giving the keys to a million dollar plus home to a group of strangers. Much, much more than $500 worth of damage can happen in a week.

When we first began renting I was worried people would take the TV and DVD players. That has never happened. They take the tupperware, phone books, coasters, playing cards, etc. Little things that they think no one will care about or notice. But it is ALWAYS noticed. Rarely do we charge for it, for instance the phone book, but it's alway noted.

BC

Beach Crab
May 25, 2010
Thanks for the replys and insight to my questions.
Impressive website and forum. I look forward to visiting the community.
BC

sisters4

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2005
We have rented down there for many years and have had different experiences with security deposits. I have noticed lately some choose to have you pay for an insurance policy which is non refundable but will cover damage. I have rented houses where they run the deposit through on the credit card and when they inspect the property and all is well you get a "refund." I have rented houses when they hold the credit card number and don't charge unless they need to which has never happened to me. One thing to remember - you as a renter have rights also. I have given deposits many times only to arrive at the house to find numerous scratches on the walls where furniture has been pushed against it, loose bannisters (which seems to be common), pool furniture which has mildew on it, kitchen cabinets that don't close, etc. It isn't like renting a car where someone walks around and documents things. We always try to leave a rental better then we found it. All of that being said the area is sublime and you will love it. Good luck.

sisters4

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2005
I just thought of one more thing. I think there may be some owners out there who really would rather not rent out their house but need to for financial reasons. We rented from someone like that one year and we were nervous about every little thing for the first few days. I talked to the company that we picked the key up from and they said not to worry about it because they knew the owner and there was a history of renters who felt that way. They said to enjoy our stay and not worry about it. Every owner is different. Again, have fun! The sand and water are gorgeous!

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
I just posted this on another thread, email from our vacation rental company today.

"We at *** know and appreciate that a key factor in your decision to visit our area is because of our world class Beaches. Therefore, we want to offer a policy that helps you feel secure about your ability to enjoy our beaches. Our policy is that if the Beaches of South Walton are closed during your stay** you will receive a refund with no penalties.

This risk free guarantee ensures that if you book or have already booked a rental through from May 24 through Sept 6, and the beach in the community where your rental is located is closed** during your stay, you will receive a refund.

** If the beach nearest to your rental property is closed by the City, County, State or Federal Government due to oil or poor air quality from oil impacts, you will receive a refund.

You can also get the latest information on this incident and what if any effect it is having on our area specifically at:

South Walton Update | A Community Prepared.
We understand your concern and we value your business. "

Ellen

Ari Silverstein

Beach Lover
May 2, 2010
I am an owner and a renter. Security deposits are psychological ploys, nothing more, a way of attempting to keep in check rental abuse. If you are an owner you know, or will quickly learn, that you are gong to get one renter a year or so that costs you thousands of $$$ in damage. If you aren't collecting that damage replacement money within your rental fee, then your SOL.

For renter: Yes, you have rights but try to enforce them. What are you going to do, return from Nashville or wherever to attend a court session that you most probably will lose. Did you or anyoe lese tightly document the place before and after?

Of course not. If you get your security deposit back it's because you were lucky to find an owner whoi honest or e is doing so to attempt to create goodwill and have you return.

As a renter, I assume I will never see a security deposit returned and count it toward the rental cost.