• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
We went out for dinner last night here on 30a and had a wonderful time. We got the bill and a friend paid with his credit card. I said I would get the tip, by then he had filled out a charge slip with the tip on it, so he screwed up and filled out the second copy without the tip. Find out today the server used the screwed up copy and got both the cash and charge tip. Should I just let this go as the servers lucky night or question this with management, I feel this is an important decision as someones job could be on line. Bill was $100 and total tip was $40 ($20 cc $20 cash)

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
Probably an honest mistake. I have done the same thing as a diner. I let it ride. I'm sure it was appreciated.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I would consider it server's lucky night AND contact management so they are aware of it just in case the server tends to have a lot of lucky nights. ;-)

I don't pay with a credit card at one local restaurant because it became a common problem that what the patron wrote down did not match what got put on the card.............and it wasn't because they forgot a tip or were undertipping.

Last edited:

Yzarctoo

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2009
I agree with Scooter...mistakes can happen...but a tip on bill and a tip on table are obvious...and also a crumbled up bill...is obvious...there are many folks who fail to look at their receipts...not a wise thing to do.. it takes just a little bit of time to look before leaving...and any "mistake" can be corrected before walking out the door.

Dafish

Beach Comber
Apr 28, 2010
Let it go....Those servers work hard for there money and somea-holes don't leave any or little and the server has to tip out even when they are shorted...Consider it a good deed cause they don't make anything in the winter when ya'll are home but stilll have bills to pay.....

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
Be glad your bill was only $100.00.Too many times these kids get stiffed,most likely was a busy holiday mistake.

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
I hope you do contact management at least let them know what happened. They can decide whether it was a true mistake or one of many 'mistakes'.

I would also be inclined to let the server keep it and chalk it up to a $20 lesson learned. But if the manager insists on refunding it, let 'em.

Wavewatcher

Beach Lover
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
We went out for dinner last night here on 30a and had a wonderful time. We got the bill and a friend paid with his credit card. I said I would get the tip, by then he had filled out a charge slip with the tip on it, so he screwed up and filled out the second copy without the tip. Find out today the server used the screwed up copy and got both the cash and charge tip. Should I just let this go as the servers lucky night or question this with management, I feel this is an important decision as someones job could be on line. Bill was $100 and total tip was $40 ($20 cc $20 cash)

Key words: "He screwed up"

Maybe the server just thought ya'll were generous and sweet.