• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

CChandler

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok
Hi everyone, my entire family (parents, brothers, and sister's family) will be visiting the week of June 19th-26th. We will have 7 adults and 4 kids total, ages 15, 4, 2, and 4 months. We're renting a beachfront home in Seagrove. Of course we're worried about the unforseen impact of the spill :angry: Your site has been a great help, as I check the threads every day to see what the situation is. The pictures reassure me that the beaches are still like I remember from family trips when I was young. Regardless of what happens over the next 3 weeks, we will more than likely be headed to 30a.

Worst case scenario, we can probably travel eastward towards Shell Island, Mexico Beach, Port St. Joe and even St. George's Island to enjoy the beach if the oil does make it to 30a. If the winds will switch back to the east, I think we'll be in the clear.

Anyhow, what are some good activities for the kids? I want to avoid pricey waterparks, although the aquariums might be fun for them. I also saw Destin has a neat ymca pool- does anyone know what it's summer hours are?
I've been looking into some of the freshwater springs too near Ponce De Leon- are they safe for the younger ones? (is the water shallow in spots enough for an adult to hold them?)

Also, going to rent some double kayaks and maybe bikes since we're a mile away from Seaside. I know there's plenty to do there, with the outdoor theater, shopping and playground.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Canoeing Econfina would be a fun trip - several of the springs are by little beach areas or have picnic areas, though the last part can be a long paddle and they may get impatient.

Seaside Rep performs Charlotte's Web outside in the amphitheatre on Mondays. They also do the Tempest Wednesdays in Rosemary, but I don't think that is as kid oriented.

Even if there is oil on the beaches, the lakes will be available for kayaking, canoeing, etc. and Eden State park has a nice big lawn to play on and explore.

Painting stuff at Fired-up, the Gulfarium in PC, and seeing Grand Cirque might also be fun - not sure of crowds or prices.

A trip to the Florida caverns to see the caves and formations can be fun too. Lots of kids were on the tour with me.

US98 Sports

Beach Lover
Apr 11, 2010
The 15 Year Old might be interested in doing the US98 Lax Attack Lacrosse Camp in Freeport, from Monday, June 21st to Friday, June 25th, 1:00-4:00PM each day.

I don't think anyone is happy about this intrusion of oil from the Gulf, and it will unfortunately hurt everyone across the board here. However, as you point out, there are options outside of going to the beach.

There also is a pretty cool little cave up near Marianna, but it would be a one day trip and probably not all day.

I'm sure you will receive more constructive input on here, so stay tuned.

CChandler

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok
Thanks for the tips so far...we will see about heading up to the caverns for the day. I believe I visited there when I was little and swam in the water hole.

Also, are there any beach areas in the bays? I know Shell Island has great snorkeling areas in the bay, but what about Choctawatchee Bay? We would like to rent a pontoon boat and explore that way as well.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
A word to the wise on the caverns, check the rainfall and call ahead. If there's been significant rain fall the caves may be closed and there's nothing like explaining that to a small child after driving an hour.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

(850) 482-9598

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
If you decide to head east toward St. Joe, be sure to visit the St. Joseph State Park out on the peninsula of Cape San Blas (off another 30A). It's worth the trek. The gulf side is nice, but the bay side is the real hidden gem in my opinion. I can PM you pics if you'd like.

Wonderful shelling there and in Mexico Beach.

CChandler

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok
If you decide to head east toward St. Joe, be sure to visit the St. Joseph State Park out on the peninsula of Cape San Blas (off another 30A). It's worth the trek. The gulf side is nice, but the bay side is the real hidden gem in my opinion. I can PM you pics if you'd like.

Wonderful shelling there and in Mexico Beach.
A PM with pics would be fantastic, thanks!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The Seaside Rep has 3 kids' shows this summer!

Monday - Charlotte's Web at the Seaside Amphitheater, 7 PM

Tuesday - The Fisherman and His Wife at Watercolor at Watercolor Marina Park Amphitheater, 7 pm

Wednesday- The Tempest, adapted for younger audiences by Rep Artistic Director Brook Stetler, Rosemary Beach, 6:30 PM on the green on the north side of 30A (North Barret Square)

ALL shows are for families!!!:clap:

Charlotte opened last week, Fisherman last night- both are wonderful. The Tempest opens tonight!

Considering that we've been visiting the area since our daughter was two (she's getting married in 17 days) and that she has the whitest skin on the planet, she has followed the same pattern over the years:
  • going to the beach for about 15 minutes and then spending about 30 minutes at the pool in the early AM
  • shopping
  • nomming
  • watching videos, playing video games, reading, and snoozing
  • going to the beach for about 15 minutes and then spending about 30 minutes at the pool in the late PM
  • nomming
  • watching videos, playing video games, reading, and snoozing
I predict the same pattern for her honeymoon at our beach house starting in 18 days except for a little more "snoozing.";-)

In any case, that's what our "kid" has always liked to do at the beach.

EDIT: I was permanently damaged by watching the movie "Jaws," and I passed that fear onto our daughter. We stick our toes into the surf and then go back to the house to swim in the pool. Swimming in the pool at the beach is just "beachier" and better than swimming in the pool in GA.

Last edited:

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
Crabbing on one of the lakes is very fun for the kids! It only costs the price of a trap and a ladyfish or chicken leg! Of course fishing is always fun.