• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Does one have to make a rational, financially competitive decision to own property and live in South Walton? I thought you could do it just because you loved it here. :blush:
Exactly. It's kinda like, "I'm gonna die someday, and it might be sooner than later, so since I dunno, I'll just sit back and miss the chance to enjoy my life the way I envisioned it."

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
This catastrophe has made everyone realize how precious the
Gulf Coast is. We take so much for granted. This too shall pass.

Tom Curlin

Beach Comber
Jun 19, 2006
If you want to be in sowal, be in sowal. But you don't owe anyone more than the market will bear to do so. You have leverage given the oil issue. Use it to your advantage. But don't underestimate the intangibles either and let a house go if it is a great fit.

Personally I would try to get a later closing date with an oil on beach clause to give yourself more time to understand how the spill plays out.

Backwards Crab

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2010
Atlanta
Thank you all. I was wondering where my post went b.c I originally posted in the Intro thread and logged back in and couldnt find my post. I thought I had been banned already!:yikes:

We are going to stick it out and see what the bank comes back with. It's such a great deal already and we'd be heart sick if we missed out on such a great opportunity and the oil wasnt as bad. THat being said, years from now my family will have a little slice of heaven and that is what the end goal is. Good luck to all of you who live in SoWal. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Moneybags

Beach Comber
May 17, 2006
Alabama
How do you know it is a good deal? Did you use a realtor? Does the home need work? I know you may not want to give us all of the details but I would be interested in how you arrived at it being such a good deal. I have heard people say that someone paid a lot more for it 4 years ago but that is not a foolproof method. Maybe price per foot is good? Is it gulf front? A condo? Just curious.

Backwards Crab

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2010
Atlanta
How do you know it is a good deal? Did you use a realtor? Does the home need work? I know you may not want to give us all of the details but I would be interested in how you arrived at it being such a good deal. I have heard people say that someone paid a lot more for it 4 years ago but that is not a foolproof method. Maybe price per foot is good? Is it gulf front? A condo? Just curious.
It's a short sale. We've got the time to wait in order to get a good deal. And it's a block from the beach with no roads to cross to get there. Houses around them are selling for 100,000 more. It's a good deal. And yes, we're working with an agent who specializes in short sales/foreclosures.

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
When my daughters come inside covered head to toe with mud and sand I sometimes get upset with them. Then I spend some time cleaning them up. Then I hug and kiss them because this is a long-term relationship that a little dirt and grime can't possibly hurt.

The Emerald Coast is like one of my little girls and I'll help clean her up and continue to enjoy that long-term relationship as well.

This post continues to bring tears to my eyes after even the 3rd reading. Very accurate and well-stated. Thank you for clearly articulating what so many people feel.