• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

austintx89

Beach Comber
May 24, 2009
Hi everyone!

We're coming back to SoWal this year and wanted to know what you think are some "must do" things that you'd recommend with two kids under the age of 6...beyond the typical touristy stuff. Any hidden gems (parts of the beach to visit, best places to find shells, where to fish, etc) in SoWal that aren't usually mentioned in the typical 30a websites?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Deli Love

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2008
MidWal???
I would think about waffles at Modica Market in Seaside then a romp on the Amphitheater green to burn off the sugar. Next I would go over to Fire IT Up and let the kids make a cool foot fish plate. (My grand kids made me one.) I think then I would go to Bears on the Beach for a cool bear to remember the day with and then lunch at one of the cool eating places like Barefoot BBQ, Pickles, Taco Bar, Pizza Bar or Modica. Top it off with a cup cake from Queen Bee.
It's a full day even if you don't catch an event like the Farmers Market on Saturday or a concert or Play at the Rep.
I have had this day and it is a lot of fun!

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
Bike riding on the bike path or bring your bikes to Topsail State park and pedal down the new paved trial to Campbell lake, don't have to worry about driveways. Bring a picnic lunch and have lunch near the lake. If the kids have the energy then take the other trail to the beach at Topsail.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Canoe the Econfina Creek!

About 1 hour drive from Sowal, which may be further than you want to go but an incredible slice of 'Florida off the beach'.

Cool, crystal clear spring water flowing up from underwater springs and merging into a river that winds through beautiful forest.

A great place to go when it is this hot, as the water is chilly and feels great!

Go on a weekday though, as the weekends get crowded.

Red Dawg

Beach Lover
Feb 14, 2008
SoWal
There are several nature based outfitters that do Choctawhatchee river tours on airboats that are great. Also kayak tours of the coastal dune lakes, call the TDC at 850-237-1216 or stop by the office at the corner of 331 & 98 for brochures of these and other activities.

port albert

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Its a bit of a haul but I am sure your kids would love Wakulla Springs Park. The one hour boat ride is incredible with all of the alligators, many knds of birds, turtles etc. It is one of the reasons we come to Forida every January.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Learn about our history. I've provided a partial list on my history blog of South Walton points of historical interest. There is one walking/biking tour off 30A through the Pt. Washington State Forest that ends up at an old abandoned bridge marking where the Wesley's of Eden Gardens State Park came to the beach at Eastern Lake. It starts across the street from Eastern Lake Nursery. Just go to blogs and select history. There are over 40 blogs about various history topics concerning Walton and Florida history. One blog, on South Walton history provides you with a thumbnail sketch of some off-beach history related touring spots and points of interest.

http://www.sowal.com/bb/blogs/brend...south-walton-brenda-rees-shaping-florida.html

http://www.sowal.com/bb/blogs/brend...e-trail-old-historic-bridge-remains-lake.html

Last edited by a moderator: