• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I remember when that recipe was posted. I think it was sarawind, not sarafunn! ;-) :wave:

Tortilla soup by Sarawind. :rotfl: That's funny. Fortunately I didn't get that problem.

I'll always remember that closer2fine gave it to me though. UM UM GOOD!

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Mango, honey, you need the Southern Living Crock-Pot cookbook. :D

Chili is my most absolute favorite thing. I don't have a magic recipe, except that I rely on Chili-O seasoning to take care of the chili powder, etc for me. Just ground beef (I use 1/2 beef and 1/2 ground turkey), a couple of cans of diced tomatos, rinsed and drained black beans, rinsed and drained red beans, tomato sauce, and salt. Maybe a little bit of water to loosen it up.

If we've managed to turn you on to boiled peanuts, like the ones that were at the soiree, but you can't get "green" peanuts in NY:

I bag jumbo raw peanuts
1/2 cup salt
Combine in 5 to 6 quart slow cooker and add water to cover. Cook on High for about 18 hours. Check water level every four hours or so, as they soak it up. I nearly fried the last batch I did! Can then pack and freeze for upcoming events requiring boiled peanuts.

As I am normally in no mood to cook, much less to cook chicken just to add to a recipe calling for cooked chicken, I also buy chicken breasts on sale and throw 6-7 of them in at a time, season liberally with seasoned salt, and seasoned pepper, turn it to low, and let them go. Assuming the males in my home don't eat it all before I get back, I chop up the meat and freeze it.

One thing to be careful about...more than once, I have gotten up early and put an excellent meal in the crockpot, only to have my spouse call my office two hours later to ask if I meant to plug it in and turn it on. :blush:

Thanks for this! I love boiled peanuts, but they take so long that they make the house smell like wet peanut shells for about a week. In the crock-pot, I can put it on the porch and let them cook!

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Wonderful recipes! Thanks. I have a crockpot, but do not use it nearly enough. The recipes will make good dinners for the nights I tutor late.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Mostly I use mine for convenience and for cooking a lot of meat for someone on a low carb diet. So I don't have many fancy recipes but I have discovered you can cook just about any kind of meat by slicing up very thick slices of onion and layering them in the bottom of the crock. If you are cooking something fatty like a pot roast, this keeps the meat up out of the grease and gives it some flavor besides. When it's done just pitch out the onions, they will be fat -soaked.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Yep re the onions. And...though they are expensive and made of plastic and probably not eco-friendly, crockpot liner bags are my favorite invention on this planet. I am afraid to use them on high for very long (for example, peanuts) but it sure makes post-mortem much easier! :D

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
speaking of clean up,it's a snap now comparied to the days when you couldn't take the "crock" pot out of the electrical frame and soak in water.

PC

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2005
TN
this is DEADLY!

1 box chocolate cake mix

1 large box chocolate pudding

6 ounces chocolate chips

1/3 cup vegetable oil

3 eggs

6 oz. sour cream

1/2 c water

Mix cake mix, pudding mix together. Beat eggs and add oil, water. Add wet to dry and mix well. Add sour cream, and mix. Add chocolate chips.

Pour into well greased crock pot. Place a paper towel between the top of the crock and the lid to catch the excess moisture.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve in bowls with ice cream or cool whip.

Can somebody tell me if this is anything like a lava cake? Thanks for posting this recipe!!!!

Also a big thanks to c2f for the beach updates, always look forward to them.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
here's another easy and tasty crock pot recipe:
2-4lb lean roast
1 packet italian dressing mix
1 large carton reduced sodium beef broth
medium onion sliced thick
1 small jar pepperoncini with juice
water to top to roast in the crock pot
throw it all in the pot and cook on low for 8 hours or so
shread the meat, make your own Italian roast beef sandwiches using the peppers and onions with the addition of some provolone cheese-yummy!