• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
I am going to gripe for a minute only - there is no good sushi in Sowal - there are some that are passable, ok, but nothing that blows your taste buds away.
Fish out of Water - sashimi is good but sushi is utterly banal
Fish House - not good even though some people rave about it - just not good enough
Blue Buddha - too much rice, not enough fish and not creative enough
Basmati - again just OK - not great

I know I am picky but does anyone have any other suggestions for someone who loves sashimi and sushi and the above listed places just do not cut it??

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
i too was at a loss for great sushi.

blue buddah, never been. never know when they will choose to be open.
basmati's, the sushi was a little mealy, and warm
fish house, haven't had it
fish out, so long ago i can't comment

but, nick and his co-worker at 331 are turning out some stellar product. limited fish types, but as fresh as you can get, and inventive in presentation.

jr

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Chickpea said:
I am going to gripe for a minute only - there is no good sushi in Sowal - there are some that are passable, ok, but nothing that blows your taste buds away.
Fish out of Water - sashimi is good but sushi is utterly banal
Fish House - not good even though some people rave about it - just not good enough
Blue Buddha - too much rice, not enough fish and not creative enough
Basmati - again just OK - not great

I know I am picky but does anyone have any other suggestions for someone who loves sashimi and sushi and the above listed places just do not cut it??

Cafe 30A has sushi. We bought some and enjoyed it but we are not sushi experts so maybe it was just that we were down in sowal and enjoying ourselves anyway. The little sushi trailer is not at Seaside anymore...we never tried it when it was there.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
John R said:
i too was at a loss for great sushi.

blue buddah, never been. never know when they will choose to be open.
basmati's, the sushi was a little mealy, and warm
fish house, haven't had it
fish out, so long ago i can't comment

but, nick and his co-worker at 331 are turning out some stellar product. limited fish types, but as fresh as you can get, and inventive in presentation.

jr
You are right that sushi at 331 is better than most - still though - I know I am spoiled but nothing like one finds in any big city - oh well (sigh!)

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Chickpea said:
You are right that sushi at 331 is better than most - still though - I know I am spoiled but nothing like one finds in any big city - oh well (sigh!)

yes, i could see being spoiled by city sushi's inventiveness, but if you're here, you gotta go where it is best.

wetwilly, i've never been in cafe 30a, i'll need to give it a try.

jr

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
John R said:
yes, i could see being spoiled by city sushi's inventiveness, but if you're here, you gotta go where it is best.

wetwilly, i've never been in cafe 30a, i'll need to give it a try.

jr

Yeah up in the open air bar overlooking 30-A with the gulf breeze coming at you....it was pretty good sushi from what I remember but it might be just because we were in sowal (paradise)...heck Publix sushi is pretty good in Seagrove (even though it does not compare with the big city stuff)...lcation, location, location

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Chickpea said:

Try Hawaii. The sushi and sashimi there is No Ka Oi!!

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
SHELLY said:
Try Hawaii. The sushi and sashimi there is No Ka Oi!!

dang long drive between the islands! :razz:

been there done that, didn't really like their sushi too much either - too westernized

best sushi I ever had out was at (including blanched shrimp stuffed with tilefish! yummy!) - 'super no 1 china buffet' in scottsboro alabama (on sunday afternoon)

even better:

go to the fish market and get some really nice fish

pick up some rice and ground carrots and whatever seaweed wrapper you like at the grocery store (in the veggie section)

clean and very thinly slice the fish then julienne the slices, cook up the rice and leave it sticky, and dice up a carrot, I like to zap the carrots very slightly in the microwave to remove the bitterness but some don't, assemble on a freezer-chilled plate and serve ice cold with 2 bottles per person of hot draft sake (something else you can't get out)

heaven!