• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

CChandler

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok
Just wondering if Ponce De Leon Springs is worth the trip from Seagrove... I've seen Wakulla Springs recommended on here, but it looks like quite the drive.
Also wondering about Florida Caverns State Park...

We're traveling with little ones (4,2, and 4 months) so it needs to appeal to them as well.
Are there any hidden springs that are a little closer to the area? (but not in state parks).
This site Florida Springs: Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in Florida Springs
has a few that look neat, just wondering if any locals have been to any before.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's basically a swimming pond w/ lots of people.

Cool to see the trees growing in it, but not worth a special trip IMO.

I stopped w/ Mama Scooterbug on our way back from the Caverns - we did the "45 minute hike" in 10, watched the Sheriff deal with some drunks, and got back in the car.

Econfina is MUCH better.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Just wondering if Ponce De Leon Springs is worth the trip from Seagrove... I've seen Wakulla Springs recommended on here, but it looks like quite the drive.
Also wondering about Florida Caverns State Park...

We're traveling with little ones (4,2, and 4 months) so it needs to appeal to them as well.
Are there any hidden springs that are a little closer to the area? (but not in state parks).
This site Florida Springs: Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in Florida Springs
has a few that look neat, just wondering if any locals have been to any before.

We've got piece on where the kids will be swimming as far as creeks and parks in this week's edition of the Herald/Breeze. Ponce is a nice place and Walton Outdoors may have more on the springs or you can email Lori with WO and ask her. She knows all the little swimming and paddle cubbies in the area.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
It's nice but not worth a distinct road trip, IMO. If you're wanting to see inland Real Florida, I'd get up early and do a state park loop route with Falling Waters(quick hike to the sinkhole and butterfly trail), Florida Caverns(hike and cave tour) , and Torreya (cool river bluffs hike and plantation home tour).

Edit

The age of the kids didn't sink in. What I suggested sounds like too much for a toddler, but I'm leaving it up there for future readers who wouldn't mind that long of a day.

Last edited:

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I agree that Ponce isn't all that. They walled in the spring head and it is used mostly as a swimming pool. There are some hiking trails around the creek which the spring feeds, and it is neat enough to see, but doesn't feel unique enough for it's own special trip.

Instead of going there, just down the road a bit is Morrison Springs which is much-mo-better and worth the trip. Cypress trees, cold water, fishing, boating, etc.

Econfina Springs, north of PC is also worthy of a day trip. They also have a canoe livery "Go with the Flow" 850-722-9032.

CChandler

Beach Lover
Apr 30, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok
I agree that Ponce isn't all that. They walled in the spring head and it is used mostly as a swimming pool. There are some hiking trails around the creek which the spring feeds, and it is neat enough to see, but doesn't feel unique enough for it's own special trip.

Instead of going there, just down the road a bit is Morrison Springs which is much-mo-better and worth the trip. Cypress trees, cold water, fishing, boating, etc.

Econfina Springs, north of PC is also worthy of a day trip. They also have a canoe livery "Go with the Flow" 850-722-9032.

Thanks, I just found Morrison Springs online yesterday and it looks great! I like that it has a beach area for the kids.
Maybe if I can get my parents to babysit, hubby and I can go canoeing on Econfina. It sounds/looks fantastic!

bamabeachbum

Beach Fanatic
May 31, 2006
Decatur,Alabama
Thanks, I just found Morrison Springs online yesterday and it looks great! I like that it has a beach area for the kids.
Maybe if I can get my parents to babysit, hubby and I can go canoeing on Econfina. It sounds/looks fantastic!

If you go to Morrison, go early it gets crowded fast. Good place to dive. Also might try Vortex Springs.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Ditto the Morrison Springs recommendation. And by all means, if you can get a sitter Econfina is one of my favorite things to do, especially this year. Go on a weekday if possible, the weekends tend to be overcrowded and noisy.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
lots of photos of vortex, morrison and ponce de leon springs in the Defuniak Herald this week.

Walton Outdoors

Beach Fanatic
Oct 8, 2008
www.WaltonOutdoors.com