• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tom at BV

Beach Lover
May 14, 2006
Plymouth & Petoskey MI
Something strange and upsetting happened to my daughter-in-law this evening in BMB. I want to prosecute this person who entered our gated community and banged on the door with such force demanding with intimidating warnings to inspect a turtle in our condo. This person was dressed in brown like a fish & wildlife ranger threating federal law & jail if we had a sea turtle on the premise. We purchased a pet land turtle in Destin (legal) yesterday afternoon for our granddaughter, she was excited about the turtle telling a few perple about her new pet turtle. Somehow this person heard about the turtle & tracked us down by our car license # getting our address, he came to the door without showing identification and bulled his way into our home. My daughter-in-law was terrified and let him in the house. He checked the turtle out and realized it was a land turtle and left. Was he ligit or was he a criminal??? I will be notifing the local police, etc. If I was there he would be missing teeth or eating lead. I am soo angry with the turtle police!!!! Who are these people????

Tom

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
The problem you had is an over zealous turtle volunteer. If they didn't show proper ID, I would not have let them in my door. Probably not even with, come to think of it. You now what you had bought and it was none of their business.

My biggest concern is that someone was able to get your address via your vehicle tag. If the person that came to your door was not a LEO, then there has been a violation punishable by jail for giving out that information. I know this because I used to be a supervisor of a SO communications center.

I love the turtles and admire the people who take care of them but they shouldn't, if they did, barge into your home.

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
What a disturbing incident to hear about. I'm sorry you are all having to deal with such an unnecessary stress at this time while on vacation. This man's actions are completely unacceptable IMO. Its a turtle. I wish the daughter in law had called the police instead of opening the door. Her safety and those of the children are far more vital than the identification of a suspected illegal turtle being harbored.

I do not know if the turtle watch people have uniforms aside from t-shirts. I'm sure someone can chime in and help you.

I hope this gets resolved quickly for you.

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
If I am not mistaken fish and game has alot more access than the sheriffs dept. They once came to my house because of a rumor and I was told they didnt even need a warrant like the sheriffs or police dept. As I said...rumor... it was because of something my 8 year old said on a school bus but once they talked to us they realized the situation and left... hopefully there wasnt a report to them of someone saying they just got a "sea turtle"..when they actually had gotten a "land turtle". It sounds like a case of a child not realizing what they were claiming and the consequences of that claim. As far as the "tracking of your plates"... yes they are a federal agency and DO have access to that information...they arent just "turtle police".. their job encompasses ALOT more than that.

Last edited:

Tom at BV

Beach Lover
May 14, 2006
Plymouth & Petoskey MI
The problem you had is an over zealous turtle volunteer. If they didn't show proper ID, I would not have let them in my door. Probably not even with, come to think of it. You now what you had bought and it was none of their business.

My biggest concern is that someone was able to get your address via your vehicle tag. If the person that came to your door was not a LEO, then there has been a violation punishable by jail for giving out that information. I know this because I used to be a supervisor of a SO communications center.

I love the turtles and admire the people who take care of them but they shouldn't, if they did, barge into your home.

Thanks for everyone's concern. My daughter-in-law should not have let him in, but she was taken by surprise. I also forgot to say the intruder said someone called the turtle hot line and turned them in!!! I sure would like to get that "Hot Line Number___". I have more questions than answers and will take this to a higher level of authority:angry: I wish I was there when this happened & it would be a very different story. He scared the bee-jeebies out of these women.

Can anyone give me the hot line #????

Tom

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks for everyone's concern. My daughter-in-law should not have let him in, but she was taken by surprise. I also forgot to say the intruder said someone called the turtle hot line and turned them in!!! I sure would like to get that "Hot Line Number___". I have more questions than answers and will take this to a higher level of authority:angry: I wish I was there when this happened & it would be a very different story. He scared the bee-jeebies out of these women.

Tom

Sea Turtle Watch
CALL the Florida Marine Patrol 24 Hour Hotline: (850) 233-5150

Might have been FWC - surely any LEO needs warrants.?

Please let us know the rest of the story.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal

Tom

Ours is a world of guilty until proven innocent. Give someone a bit of "authority" and they think they're Rambo. I bet he'd have acted differently if a man answered the door. Sounds like this one needs a new job (or an up-close-and-personal attitude adjustment).