• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
We have just witness, along with many other people, a turtle laying her eggs about l0 or 20 yards to the East of Bella Vita's stairs. She has returned to to gulf. I tried calling the turtle watch, asked the sheriff's office to send someone so the nest could be marked, but the calls produced no results as far as I could tell. It was really something to watch, though. The whole procedure took about an hour.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
We have just witness, along with many other people, a turtle laying her eggs about l0 or 20 yards to the East of Bella Vita's stairs. She has returned to to gulf. I tried calling the turtle watch, asked the sheriff's office to send someone so the nest could be marked, but the calls produced no results as far as I could tell. It was really something to watch, though. The whole procedure took about an hour.
oh, wow. Did anyone come to mark the nest yet?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Most people were very respectful and stayed away from the turtle. Betty and I watched from our walkover and used our binoculars. One lady insisted on taking flash pictures and I, admittedly rather rudely, yelled at her to stop. She did.
I was glad to hear the nest was moved because it was in a bad place due to all the traffic. If I might ask, where was it moved?
The turtle came ashore in broad daylight so the turtle lighting was not a factor. She re-entered the gulf just after dark. Once again, really something to see.

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
Most people were very respectful and stayed away from the turtle. Betty and I watched from our walkover and used our binoculars. One lady insisted on taking flash pictures and I, admittedly rather rudely, yelled at her to stop. She did.
I was glad to hear the nest was moved because it was in a bad place due to all the traffic. If I might ask, where was it moved?
The turtle came ashore in broad daylight so the turtle lighting was not a factor. She re-entered the gulf just after dark. Once again, really something to see.

It was moved due north of the nest-just north of the sand fences.

Regarding the idiot:pissed: with the flash camera, good for you.:clap:

We saw one nest like that once, it was closer to Big Redfish.

sarawind

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
30A
We've had turtle nests in "our" dunes by the walkover several times. It's a sight to behold. I was amazed that turtle "people" managed the baby turtles on their trek to the water. I feel sure many more survive with the turtle crew to help.

In the late 80's I was up very early one morning and looking from our deck I saw what appeared to be a semi truck tire way down the beach and wondered why it was drawing so much attention. It was a turtle. :D

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It was moved due north of the nest-just north of the sand fences.

Regarding the idiot:pissed: with the flash camera, good for you.:clap:

We saw one nest like that once, it was closer to Big Redfish.
Buz, thank you for the reply regarding the nest location. Most people were most respectful of the turtle and her condition but there are always some in every crowd as you are aware. I'd have answered you sooner but I am having login issues with the new site. Once again, thanks.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Thank you Andy, I didn't see you over there. I was called and showed up when she was in the process of finishing up the nest. I had to park at Goatfeathers and head West to find the nest. Your walkover was much closer to the nest and so after she left, I moved my vehicle to your neighborhood and we moved the nest. It had 106 eggs in it and was a Loggerhead. The nest was moved straight back between two sand fences to get it out of traffic's way.

You must have missed me hollering at the lady who had no clue there was even a turtle on the beach as her dog was running all over the place unleashed. It was within 50 feet of the turtle when she finally figured out there was a turtle and she leashed the dog. Glad the dog didn't spot the turtle, that would have gotten very ugly.

Oh, and I'd like to put in a shout out to the jerks who thought it might be funny to throw water balloons from a balcony at Bella Vita down on us while we were digging the nest. The one that bounced off my ribs and exploded in the sand next to me threw sand up under my right eyelid and I now have a scratched eyeball. And some people wonder why tolerance to tourists can be challenging at times. :dunno:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
In that same vein, I was irritated at a group of people and a photographer yesterday wandering in the dunes and sea oats...and one person even attempting to pick a sea oat to hold in the photo..fortunately, someone stopped her before she tore it.

I can understand the tourists perhaps not realizing the gravity of what they are doing, although why they would want to walk all over the dune and step on the sea oats is beyond me, even if it was not a serious problem--but, assuming the photographer was local--she should have known better. It is often difficult to maintain a civil attitude, especially when it's met with a definite uncivil response.:bang:

Tom at BV

Beach Lover
May 14, 2006
Plymouth & Petoskey MI
Thank you Andy, I didn't see you over there. I was called and showed up when she was in the process of finishing up the nest. I had to park at Goatfeathers and head West to find the nest. Your walkover was much closer to the nest and so after she left, I moved my vehicle to your neighborhood and we moved the nest. It had 106 eggs in it and was a Loggerhead. The nest was moved straight back between two sand fences to get it out of traffic's way.

Oh, and I'd like to put in a shout out to the jerks who thought it might be funny to throw water balloons from a balcony at Bella Vita down on us while we were digging the nest. The one that bounced off my ribs and exploded in the sand next to me threw sand up under my right eyelid and I now have a scratched eyeball. And some people wonder why tolerance to tourists can be challenging at times. :dunno:

Ash,

Apolgoy from Bella Vita, I am sure it was not an owner, my daughter-in-law said they have a number of renters on site this week. She said the group currently there are rather obnoxious and were asked to cool it by mgt. There are only (8) units approved to rent & they do not represent other BV owners. Thanks for protecting the turtle nest.

Tom