• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
So, many of us have been thinking of ways of doing things in a more "green" or ecologically friendly manner; and as Murray posted earlier not being so wasteful with the energy we have.

Some things that I wonder about:

* why do supermarkets use the black plastic containers to package fruits and vegetables? Why not just leave them all loose? I often don't want as many beans or brussel sprouts or whatever that the grocer packages in one of those containers anyway, and I hate the packaging. What purpose does it serve?

* Why are vitamins and almost all prescription meds packaged in bottles/boxes that are so much bigger than necessary. I see a 3 inch tall plastic bottle, with tiny pills that are often less than an inch deep--yet, they are packaged and sold in a bottle with more than 2/3 of it empty. Why?

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
So, many of us have been thinking of ways of doing things in a more "green" or ecologically friendly manner; and as Murray posted earlier not being so wasteful with the energy we have.

Some things that I wonder about:

* why do supermarkets use the black plastic containers to package fruits and vegetables? Why not just leave them all loose? I often don't want as many beans or brussel sprouts or whatever that the grocer packages in one of those containers anyway, and I hate the packaging. What purpose does it serve?

To get us to buy larger quantities possibly?

* Why are vitamins and almost all prescription meds packaged in bottles/boxes that are so much bigger than necessary. I see a 3 inch tall plastic bottle, with tiny pills that are often less than an inch deep--yet, they are packaged and sold in a bottle with more than 2/3 of it empty. Why?
They take up more shelf space, are more easily seen, and it looks like you're getting more product. Totally marketing reasons. We have the challenge of educating much of the populace to this. But we really don't have too many other buying options with the vitamins do we. Maybe we must demand reduction in packaging? :dunno:

Last edited:

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Prescription med bottle instant cash back rebate option at the pharmacies?

I've no idea (beyond getting us to buy more) about the produce trays. Maybe Publix would tell us why and/or be amenable to an instant cash back rebate program.

I wonder if there are available/existing tax benefits to businesses like Publix that operate recycling initiatives?
Not to mention businesses like Publix can be very effective education ambassadors.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
I too have been questioning the packaging of many items. In my opinion, take-out/away restaurant food is a major problem. The usefullness of these styrofoam and hard plastic products is probably about 10-15 minutes? A lifetime in a landfill. I know that there are biodegradable products available and would like to see them being used.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Engaging Publix

I just sent a message to Publix consumer relations (on the website) requesting their neighborly support in expanding grassroots movements to reduce / rebate / recycle of pharmacy, produce, and bakery packaging...

while simultaneously educating consumers and getting a willing/walking army of advertisers (along the lines of their reusable shopping bag initiative).

If I receive a reply I'll post here.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I personally prefer styrofoam for many things over paper. Coffee cups for instance. I will never have a high opinion of those idiotic way too hot paper cups with that stupid cardboard ring around it to keep you from burning yourself. The darn things leak, dont seal very well, don't hold their shape, and don't always fit in cupholders with that stupid cardboard sleeve. I certainly don't want my hot wet take-out food served in paper. No way.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I personally prefer styrofoam for many things over paper. Coffee cups for instance. I will never have a high opinion of those idiotic way too hot paper cups with that stupid cardboard ring around it to keep you from burning yourself. The darn things leak, dont seal very well, don't hold their shape, and don't always fit in cupholders with that stupid cardboard sleeve. I certainly don't want my hot wet take-out food served in paper. No way.
Have your considered getting a reusable cup the vacuum kind, for your coffee? I seldom buy coffee but I use my reusable cups for water and any other beverage..

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Have your considered getting a reusable cup the vacuum kind, for your coffee? I seldom buy coffee but I use my reusable cups for water and any other beverage..

Most of the time I do that, but when I'm not using it I prefer styrofoam or plastic to the paper.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Our Target now pays customers to use reusable bags. The bags can be any store's bag. It is only a nickel per bag when you use yours at check out, but they are showing that they are willing to promote the reusables. They have also started recycling the plastic bags, since our curbside recycle doesn't take them. They are behind Kroger on that one though, as Kroger has had a recycle container for the bags for a long time.

Last edited: