• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pattymcbob

Beach Lover
Dec 3, 2008
It is a bit of a drive (stay off of Front Beach Road to make it better), but the best state park to see alligators & birds is St. Andrews in Panama City. We saw plenty on an easy hike there. Don't take any small dogs!

Does anyone know how much these eco-tours run? We are a group of 8 & I'm just curious.

Guided kayak and nature tours in South Walton, FL on rare coastal dune lakes. for details on tours. Once there, click on "book a guided kayak / nature tour." Also check out our FaceBook page, linked on our site, for lots of photos of people on the tour.

Clarifying the "alligator hunt," I have recently seen a small gator several times on Western Lake, but it is a rare treat. There is much to see out there, and we see different wildlife on each trip.

(Discounts are available for groups larger than 8 people.)

TimeIsFree

Beach Lover
Sep 25, 2008
gators and salinity

ascell, glad you had a great visit!

i wish i'd have seen this thread earlier as nobody made the suggestion to go shinin' for gators at night. hold a flashlight above your head and shine it across the water and look for the two glowing eyes - there's your gator!!!

as for the ranger telling you it's too salty for the gators
- BAH HUMBUG!!!! i think they could care less. there was a previous gator sighting thread on here about one swimming in the surf where someone said it was too salty for them.

i have up close and personal experience with gators and the salt water of the intercoastal waterway by Cumberland Island, GA. we went gator hunting out there, and using our headlamps saw MANY gators floating atop the marsh grass at high tide & swimming about on both the island and marsh sides of the waterway. the one we took was only 7', and was a half mile north of the Plum Orchard dock on the intercoastal. i've been to Jekyll and Cumberland all my life and had never seen gators in the marshes. i was surprised by the number of them!!!!!

whenever you head into nature, it's always an adventure!

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Say what about gators?

Last edited:

TimeIsFree

Beach Lover
Sep 25, 2008
nice one joho!!!

ours was the guest of honor at our ga-fla game party. fortunately the gator tasted good but the dawgs barely showed up. the skull still watches over our property from the woodpile.