• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
Well, nature is alive and well out in Historic Point Washington at the Bowman Bayou! We caught this Black Tip shark off of our dock over the 4th of July holiday.

He was a pup and weighed 8 lbs. I was completely thrilled to see one live and up close for the first time (and not...underwater with me somewhere :shock:). We spoke with a fisherman in a kayak the next day, and he said he had caught two small ones about 8-10lbs up further in the same bayou as well.

We also caught sting-rays and oddly enough, a wide mouthed bass on that same day. Oh, and big shrimp with the bait net! Plus the usual mullet, catfish, and a couple of days the blue crabs were really strolling in... what a place to live.
100_0533.jpg

100_0532.jpg

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
And this is precisely why I do not fish if ShallowsFuzz is not around to deal with whatever I might catch. (Well, that plus the fact that squid or worm junk under the ol' nails is just not good for my manicure.) :roll:

But that is way cool!!

Last edited:

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
He's beautiful! I'm a big shark lover... :love: My friends tease me 'cause I love to go to aquariums and just sit by the shark tanks. Way cooler than dolphins, IMO. Did you catch and release? Or did he become somebody's trophy? :shock:

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
And this is precisely why I do not fish if ShallowsFuzz is not around to deal with whatever I might catch. (Well, that plus the fact that squid or worm junk under the ol' nails is just not good for my manicure.) :roll:

But that is way cool!!

Oh yah...I've reeled in some things alone that I've never seen before...looked scary as heck and had sharp stab-ya things all over them. I'm not ashamed to walk that rod, reel and fish all the way down the dock to the front door and yell for Mr. Chillpill to get this thing off of here! :lol:

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
He's beautiful! I'm a big shark lover... :love: My friends tease me 'cause I love to go to aquariums and just sit by the shark tanks. Way cooler than dolphins, IMO. Did you catch and release? Or did he become somebody's trophy? :shock:

I'm completely fascinated with sharks too. I wish it was "Shark Week" on Discovery Channel every week! I was like an excited little kid seeing this little guy and I even touched his skin (very carefully, slowly, near his tail). I thought it would be smooth but it was like very rough sandpaper. He was just a pup and he's back in the water, growing up now...

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
Beautiful shark!!!! Caught one about this size off the back of a boat in shallow water in the Virgin Islands. The hard part was getting the hook out among all those snapping teeth!!! Finally was able to free him of the hook and he was on his way none the worse!!

BeachBebe

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
What fun! We will be bringing grandchildren down next week for the last family trip of the summer. This might be a good time to try fishing the bay. Am not familiar with the bay, so would appreciate any pointers as to good access points, etc. Would rental of boat ensure a more successful fishing expedition, or can it be achieved from a public access?

bwaller

Beach Comber
Oct 10, 2007
Very very cool

thanks so much for sharing the pictures they are great! Also thanks for the news on all the wildlife.