• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
So, somehow I have managed to get myself talked into a road trip for the Sept 11 FSU @ OU matchup. It will be myself and my spouse's cousin's wife and sister-in-law, who grew up in Oklahoma and will cheer for FSU when it is convenient, but are really, truly Sooners. They have never been to a game in Norman.

First...what route would you take from SoWal? My partners in this adventure do not want to fly.
Second...any places you would recommend staying? We realize that hotels in Norman are already booked. Maybe south of town to allow for easy departure, or in OK City?
Third and most important - I was not able to get tickets through Seminole Boosters. I know that at games in Tallahassee, tickets for face and under are plentiful at the stadium, particularly if you wait until just before kickoff (which I hate doing). But if we are driving/riding 900 miles one way, we would like to know that we can get in. Is StubHub my best option, or should I chance it?

I am not concerned at this point about winning/losing. I just want to make this a good time for my Sooner friends. :love: Any advice would be welcomed!

rx

Beach Crab
Jul 4, 2006
My oldest daughter is a senior at OU and we took her back to school from a week at the beach a couple of years ago. Trip isn't that bad about 15 hours going through Hattiesberg, Jackson, Dallas, then on to Norman. I would highly recommend staying at the NCED Center which is a Marriot Hotel run on behalf of the Postal Service. Rooms should be about $100 per night even on a football weekend. I've stayed there many times. No problem getting tickets on game day.

I live in Leawood, KS wish I could get down south before the season is over!

Hope this helps you out!

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
I second the route through hattiesburg, jackson, dallas then in. We have also gone up through tn, when raining south. slower highways, but better than rain.

I have never stayed at the post office marriott deal, but a friend has and said it was great. Don't know for sure how to get rooms there but facility is huge.

Can't help w/ tickets, sorry. No experience w/ them for me.

Good luck...safe travels.

btw, we can make it in 15 hours too w/ quick stops and we have three kids...

HD Lady

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2009
Santa Rosa Beach
Hey ShallowsNole just checked Expedia & if you do a search for hotels in Norman, OK & choose your dates, one of the options is the NCED center. Great facility. I've also stayed at the Residence Inn. While you're in town you should check out The Service Station Restaurant located at 502 S. Webster (near campus). Great food! You can check them out online if you want. I believe they have a website.
I agree with the route through Hattiesburg, Jackson & Dallas. Drive time is approx. 16-17 depending on traffic when you hit Dallas.
There are usually tickets available gameday, but if you don't want to chance that you can check with Stubhub. Good luck with your plans. Hope you enjoy the game and your roadtrip to Norman.

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
The only bad thing about Stub Hub is the extremely high service fees for buyers. My dad used Stubhub for the BCS title game last year and it was good but the service fees are extremely high.

For the Super Bowl last year, he bought tickets on Ebay and there are no service fees and you are still protected by paypal if something goes wrong.

The best though was the 2005 National Championship Game between Texas and USC when we flew out to L.A. without tickets. And managed to get good tickets for face value the day of the game through a lucky connection. Tickets on Ebay and stubhub during the weeks prior to the game were starting out at 1300, and those were in the endzone.

If you don't want to take the risk of going out there without tickets I would suggest Ebay over stubhub.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Thanks all - I just noticed that I never properly thanked everyone for your responses. We are pulling out Thursday for Norman. Pray for a safe trip for us! :wave:

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Made the trip many, many, many times and always went through Hattiesburg, Little Rock, Ft. Smith and on to the OKC and south to Norman. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. And sorry but go sooners.

rx

Beach Crab
Jul 4, 2006
Thanks all - I just noticed that I never properly thanked everyone for your responses. We are pulling out Thursday for Norman. Pray for a safe trip for us! :wave:
Just curious how your weekend was, where did you stay, etc.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Just curious how your weekend was, where did you stay, etc.

The game didn't go my way, but we had an awesome time! :wave: As this was a budget trip, we stayed at Guest Inn in Norman. Was a LOT better than I expected it would be - clean and comfortable, even if there wasn't an elevator. We checked out the OU campus on Friday and then went to Bricktown. One of the ladies I was with met up with friends from high school that she hadn't seen in over 30 years :love:, and I saw several Walton County peeps there too! I would love to go back to OKC as there was a lot to see and do and we didn't make it but to just a couple of thing.

I must compliment the Oklahoma fans as well...except for the chick behind me who kept yelling "Cheaters!" and some bozo in a truck stop, ALL of the Sooner fans I met were gracious and classy and nice to me (and I was sitting in the midst of them). I am not used to that with most of the other teams we play. Of course, I had two Sooners with me so that might have helped. :cool:

I would go back in a heartbeat - well, not a heartbeat as I'm really still recovering - but you wouldn't have to twist my arm too much. Thanks for asking!