• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I for one think a raise for the lower end employees would be defensible and most people would at least understand that. Especially if it were tied to a campaign to encourage spending that money locally. But if that was the plan, why didn't they just say that? The whole thing smells IMHO.

I completely agree. However, I have a feeling that the overage is basically a contingency amount. Why they wouldn't just add a line item to the budget is beyond me since that money could very easily be rolled to the next year. As it stands they are asking for a huge un-budgeted lump sum of money.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I completely agree. However, I have a feeling that the overage is basically a contingency amount. Why they wouldn't just add a line item to the budget is beyond me since that money could very easily be rolled to the next year. As it stands they are asking for a huge un-budgeted lump sum of money.

Another term for the overage is a "$2.74 million dollar slush fund". This year of all years with the current economic conditions is not the year to reach into taxpayers wallets and collect more than they already identified as "what is necessary to operate the county without cutting service levels".

Take from everyone one this year and roll it forward into the 2012 budget ? Many people are just trying to survive.

Bill Imfeld is quoted on WZEP as saying 4 members voting in favor that they could have raised the millage to 6 mills. Guess we should just be glad they only raised the rate 22% rather than 76%.

Great idea "collect 2.6 mills more than they need" and never identify its purpose. Can you spell pork barrel.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Another term for the overage is a "$2.74 million dollar slush fund". This year of all years with the current economic conditions is not the year to reach into taxpayers wallets and collect more than they already identified as "what is necessary to operate the county without cutting service levels".

Take from everyone one this year and roll it forward into the 2012 budget ? Many people are just trying to survive.

Bill Imfeld is quoted on WZEP as saying 4 members voting in favor that they could have raised the millage to 6 mills. Guess we should just be glad they only raised the rate 22% rather than 76%.

Great idea "collect 2.6 mills more than they need" and never identify its purpose. Can you spell pork barrel.

Bob I think we're on the same side here. I just don't understand why they want an almost $3 million chunk of cash with no explanation. My point was that regardless of a budget there are always unknowns that are going to come up such as the copier going out, a lawn mower being driven into a lake, etc.

Since I'm sure you've poured over the budget with a fine tooth comb, are there any contingency budget items by department?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I review the Expense Approval Listing (EAL) for all expenditures from the BCC. It reveals many interesting things about the climate for expenditures during both good times and bad times. Many items just jump off the page at you and make you really question priorities.

The most interesting item on the 7/21/2010 EAL comes from the District 5 Commissioners account. It shows a purchase for the latest electronic toy called an Apple iPad for $899.00.

Not a large expenditure but an interesting purchase with revenues in free fall and gloom and doom for all county departments that also include more employee layoffs.

Really nice device for watching movies and playing games.

Party on !

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I review the Expense Approval Listing (EAL) for all expenditures from the BCC. It reveals many interesting things about the climate for expenditures during both good times and bad times. Many items just jump off the page at you and make you really question priorities.

The most interesting item on the 7/21/2010 EAL comes from the District 5 Commissioners account. It shows a purchase for the latest electronic toy called an Apple iPad for $899.00.

Not a large expenditure but an interesting purchase with revenues in free fall and gloom and doom for all county departments that also include more employee layoffs.

Really nice device for watching movies and playing games.

Party on !

Not counting the monthly fee to use the device. Took less than two years for Cecilia to lose her conservatism. She has done things that her spouse would never had done. I am a bit surprised and certainly dissapointed. But it does show I was correct in not supporting her election. Once a democrat, always a democrat I guess.