• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Marti Coley is running for the House seat that is supposed to represent the people of SoWal as is David Pleat. I appreciate them coming, as I do the other politicians.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Marti Coley should have worn a bag over her head after the pathetic representation of the coastal communities. At least Pleat could learn about the candidates on his ballot.

MommaMia

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2009
You learn a lot at these forums

The forum was good last night for District 4 candidates. Ro sure did dodge some questions with plenty of non answers. Maybe he just did not understand the question. Kramer was pretty impressive and was not afraid of saying what he thought even when it was not going to be popular. Sara was well organized and seemed to have her facts straight. Bad form for Ro, his opening was an attack on Sara and nothing about himself. If you can't change things and you want to get some votes, ATTACK your opponent. I was really expecting Ro to be more polished with his 8 years.

I agree with this analysis. David Kramer gave measured and thoughtful answers and seemed to say what he believed even on a couple of unpopular topics. Sara has been a good commissioner, but running as an incumbent in this environment of "kick out the politicians" is tough. I'm afraid Ro will take us backward to the kind of county government he was part of since that's his comfort level.

THanks to SandestinVoters and Walton TAxpayers for providing this important service.

I agree with this analysis. David Kramer gave measured and thoughtful answers and seemed to say what he believed even on a couple of unpopular topics. Sara has been a good commissioner, but running as an incumbent in this environment of "kick out the politicians" is tough. I'm afraid Ro will take us backward to the kind of county government he was part of since that's his comfort level.

THanks to SandestinVoters and Walton TAxpayers for providing this important service.

Frankly I am looking for someone who will "take us back" to a county government that was pro-business and pro responsible development ( if we ever have a development climate again). A county government that does not try and regulate every problem with arcane ordinances that prove to be unenforceable. A government that knows what it is supposed to do and does it well with quality people. A government that is sensitive to the plight of its people and does not try and tax them to death. A government that operates in the sunshine voluntarily.

That said, Mr. Kramer intrigues me. He is obviously not a part of the establishment and would certainly shake things up. My concern with Mr. Cuchens is that he is part of the establishment and that we may just get more of the same. What concerns me with Ms. Commander is the number of current and former county employees who have asked me not to vote for her. They say she is meddlesome and two faced. That concerns me. But I did like her stand on taxes.

I hope we all continue to get information so that we can make the right choice.

MommaMia

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2009
Frankly I am looking for someone who will "take us back" to a county government that was pro-business and pro responsible development ( if we ever have a development climate again).
I lived here during the time you describe, and I didn't think it was all that "pro-business and pro-responsible development." If you "knew someone" -- you could get things done. But, the development rules were fuzzy and open to lots of loopholes and side deals.

A county as large as Walton County -- with as much undeveloped land-- has to have regulation or we'll kill the golden goose. Look at the ban against new billboards -- which was the beginning of some regulation in the county. We're much better off today because of that one development change.

Maybe the rules should be simplified, but let's not "go back" to the days of "who you know."

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Marti Coley should have worn a bag over her head after the pathetic representation of the coastal communities. At least Pleat could learn about the candidates on his ballot.

My guess is that despite the "we have this race in the bag" attitude we've seen from the Coley camp, who claim to not be worried about the seat because they have a voter registration advantage (thanks to a gerrymandered district) and can tap the money reserves of the Cannon/Haridopolous machine she votes with over the interests of her own constituents, she realizes she has a race on her hands.

She knows what she did Tuesday -- voting to not take up the amendment to ban oil drilling -- made it crystal clear to the people of South Walton and Destin that she is going to side with BP and big oil and their money over our coasts.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Frankly I am looking for someone who will "take us back" to a county government that was pro-business and pro responsible development ( if we ever have a development climate again). A county government that does not try and regulate every problem with arcane ordinances that prove to be unenforceable. A government that knows what it is supposed to do and does it well with quality people. A government that is sensitive to the plight of its people and does not try and tax them to death. A government that operates in the sunshine voluntarily.

That said, Mr. Kramer intrigues me. He is obviously not a part of the establishment and would certainly shake things up. My concern with Mr. Cuchens is that he is part of the establishment and that we may just get more of the same. What concerns me with Ms. Commander is the number of current and former county employees who have asked me not to vote for her. They say she is meddlesome and two faced. That concerns me. But I did like her stand on taxes.

I hope we all continue to get information so that we can make the right choice.

Perhaps the flip side of that is that "she is interested in what county employees are doing; concerned that they are being efficient and accountable...and informing herself so that she may inform the rest of us."

I don't know, but I do know that she of all the Commissioners is the one who has been consist in responding when I have asked for information...I will take a "meddlesome" elected official any day, over one who can't be bothered to answer to her/his constituents, or one whose integrity or ability is in question.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Yes, this is the election of "throw the incumbent out" and basically I agree with that. However, you must consider the level of the office and what has been done by the one holding the office.
Local offices are more likely to be closely observed and the office holder known by constituents than those at the state and federal level. Therefore, the "throw the incumbent out" philosophy may be greatly tempered due to local knowledge and observation of the office holder. I believe such is definitely the case with Commissioner Comander.
She has been consistent in answering any question I have posed to her. She has been consistent in her taxation policies. She has been a leader in promoting and encouraging development and growth in Walton County through her "Visions for Walton County" program. This is one incumbent we should definitely keep.

Yes, this is the election of "throw the incumbent out" and basically I agree with that. However, you must consider the level of the office and what has been done by the one holding the office.
Local offices are more likely to be closely observed and the office holder known by constituents than those at the state and federal level. Therefore, the "throw the incumbent out" philosophy may be greatly tempered due to local knowledge and observation of the office holder. I believe such is definitely the case with Commissioner Comander.
She has been consistent in answering any question I have posed to her. She has been consistent in her taxation policies. She has been a leader in promoting and encouraging development and growth in Walton County through her "Visions for Walton County" program. This is one incumbent we should definitely keep.

I appreciate and respect your opinion and thoughts. More often than not I agree with your positions. And as I stated, I like the tax vote and am really disappointed in the way this seems to be headed. But I still want to think about this race. I want to find out why so many county employees apparently feel differently. I also want to know if there is any truth to the rumor that Ms. Commander is behind all the employees being shown the door in the last few months. People like Chris Mitchell who I thought was doing a great job with public information. And I want someone who will fight a little harder. My understanding is that basically all she said at the budget hearing was I can't vote for this and let it go. I believe Mr. Kramer would have fought alot harder. Mr. Cuchens may have as well, I just don't know.
Andy, bear with me, I like to ask questions and hear what is being said by alot of different people before I decide.:clap:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I appreciate and respect your opinion and thoughts. More often than not I agree with your positions. And as I stated, I like the tax vote and am really disappointed in the way this seems to be headed. But I still want to think about this race. I want to find out why so many county employees apparently feel differently. I also want to know if there is any truth to the rumor that Ms. Commander is behind all the employees being shown the door in the last few months. People like Chris Mitchell who I thought was doing a great job with public information. And I want someone who will fight a little harder. My understanding is that basically all she said at the budget hearing was I can't vote for this and let it go. I believe Mr. Kramer would have fought alot harder. Mr. Cuchens may have as well, I just don't know.
Andy, bear with me, I like to ask questions and hear what is being said by alot of different people before I decide.:clap:
I fully understand your position and concerns but as far as I'm concerned neither of the other two candidates compare to Sara.
Here is my take for what it is worth which, I realize, is not much.
I have already stated what I like about Commissioner Comander, although there are many other atributes to mention, so let me go on to why I prefer her over Ro Cuchens and David Kramer. Once again, these are my personal opinions and observations only.
As you are aware, IW, I live on the beach. In 20005 we had a disaster confront beachfront owners in the form of tropical storm Dennis. Mr. Cuchens came to the aid of some beachfront owners in the building of seawalls. Some, including me, believe he did not use due diligence and engineering techniques necessary in the construction of those walls. I also observed his function as a Walton County Commissoner. It appeared to me that on many occasions he took the side of special interests as opposed to that of the citizens of the county. I cannot vote for him over Sara.
David Kramer strikes me as a thoughtful, articulate man. I have heard him address the Commissioners on many occasions. I usually agree with what he has to say. While I understand one's occupation should not be a consideration in running for public office, the truth of the matter is, it is. Mr. Kramer is one of the largest landowners in the county, he is a developer and realtor and would have, on many occasions, a conflict of interests, IMO, if he served as Commissioner. I think he could serve citizens better off the Commission as he does now. I cannot vote for him over Sara.
IW, that is my personal take on the Commissioner's election.