• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
We had pizza last night. I had to go to my son's place earlier to pick up my grill and tables and chairs. We had his bachelor party on Saturday. Once I got home I had to vacuum the pool while Patty was cutting the grass. She did not feel like cooking so I ordered pizza. We sat on the front swing and ate while watchinc the sun go down. Very romantic!!! Not that it made any difference!

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
DD, I know you've posted your recipe for the tomato,corn,black bean salad before,but I can't find it. Please give it one more time.Thanks:wave:

ps I always love your food threads. I also shop farmers mkt weekly.Yesterday it was sooo hot I just had cucumber and tomatoes in balsamic vinegar

dito...and i too want this salad recipe! Please :love:

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
What's a sunchoke? I don't feel like googling.........

A sunchoke is in the artichoke family (a root veg), but looks like a green cherry tomato after they are all cleaned up. There's a restaurant in my neighborhood that pickles them and they are ever so yummy in a bloody on a Sunday AM!

I wanted some yesterday, but they were out! Dangitall.

DD, thank you for the recipe!! I love eggplant!
And, I think at my next dinner party, I am going to all recipes from sowal.com!! Wahoo~~~~~~~

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Here you go, girls. Yesterday, I added black beans and used big giant tomatoes. Turned out great! It's my favorite salad.
p.s.--i use fresh corn, cut it off the cob and "fry" it first--then let it cool.

Ingredients

• 2 cups cooked corn, fresh or frozen
  • 1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
Dressing:

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Directions

Combine the corn, avocado, tomatoes and onion in a large glass bowl. Mix together the dressing ingredients in another bowl, pour over the salad, and gently toss to mix.

~~Paula Deen

Our daughter and I went to the local farmer's market, bought home-grown tomatoes, corn, peaches, lemon, garlic, cucumbers, parsley, and dill. Grilled chicken with an olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, dried red pepper flakes, and black pepper marinade. Cut the corn off the cob and sauted it in olive oil, garlic, parsley, and a little butter and white wine. Made a salad with the tomatoes and cucumbers tossed in olive oil, red wine vinegar, dill, garlic salt and pepper. Made our famous peach pie with low-fat yogurt on the side. Yummaramma.

Next time we're gonna do a meal with fresh butter beans and a watermelon/arugula salad with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

We love cooking with fresh veggies in the summertime!

Thanks, DD, for inspiring us with the simple pleasures of life.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Our daughter and I went to the local farmer's market, bought home-grown tomatoes, corn, peaches, lemon, garlic, cucumbers, parsley, and dill. Grilled chicken with an olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, dried red pepper flakes, and black pepper marinade. Cut the corn off the cob and sauted it in olive oil, garlic, parsley, and a little butter and white wine. Made a salad with the tomatoes and cucumbers tossed in olive oil, red wine vinegar, dill, garlic salt and pepper. Made our famous peach pie with low-fat yogurt on the side. Yummaramma.

Next time we're gonna do a meal with fresh butter beans and a watermelon/arugula salad with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

We love cooking with fresh veggies in the summertime!

Thanks, DD, for inspiring us with the simple pleasures of life.

:wave:
The simple pleasures are the best, huh?

You meal sounds great! Oooooh! I love me some butter beans! And post the recipe for the watermelon salad, please.

HD Lady

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2009
Santa Rosa Beach
Hope you girls don't mind me putting my two cents worth in too! I love to cook and really love the fresh veggies in the summertime. Here is one of my favorite recipes for butter beans:

Bacon, Butter Beans and Tomatoes:

3 slices bacon, chopped
1 med. onoin, chopped
1 sm. green bell peper, seeded & chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
3 med. tomatoes, chopped
4 c. chicken broth
4 c. fresh (can use frozen) butter beans
2 tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp. worcherstershire sauce
1/2 tsp. hot sauce

1. Cook bacon in dutch oven until crisp. Remove from pan to drain. Reserve drippings.
2. Stir onion and next 3 ingredients into drippings and saute until vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes and cook 3 minutes.
4. Stir in broth and butterbeans; bring to a boil.
5. Cover and reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occassionally. Cook approx. 30 mins.
6. Simmer, uncovered 20 mins., stirring often.
7. Stir in parsley and remaining ingredients.
8. Cook stirring often for an additional 5 mins.
9. Discard bay leaf and serve warm.

Enjoy! :wave:

Hope you girls don't mind me putting my two cents worth in too! I love to cook and really love the fresh veggies in the summertime. Here is one of my favorite recipes for butter beans:

Bacon, Butter Beans and Tomatoes:

3 slices bacon, chopped
1 med. onoin, chopped
1 sm. green bell peper, seeded & chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
3 med. tomatoes, chopped
4 c. chicken broth
4 c. fresh (can use frozen) butter beans
2 tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp. worcherstershire sauce
1/2 tsp. hot sauce

1. Cook bacon in dutch oven until crisp. Remove from pan to drain. Reserve drippings.
2. Stir onion and next 3 ingredients into drippings and saute until vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes and cook 3 minutes.
4. Stir in broth and butterbeans; bring to a boil.
5. Cover and reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occassionally. Cook approx. 30 mins.
6. Simmer, uncovered 20 mins., stirring often.
7. Stir in parsley and remaining ingredients.
8. Cook stirring often for an additional 5 mins.
9. Discard bay leaf and serve warm.

Enjoy! :wave:
Yum! Love the idea of tomatoes with butterbeans. Thanks!

Watermelon and Mixed Greens Salad ? la Bud and Alley?s

I developed this recipe to copy a dish that I went ape over at Bud and Alley?s in Seaside, Florida a few years ago.

Watermelon balls
Red onion, sliced
Mixed green lettuce or arugula

Marinate watermelon balls and onions in a vinaigrette made with balsamic vinegar. Immediately before serving, toss lettuce in vinaigrette. To serve, put salad greens in individual plates, place watermelon in the middle, and garnish with onion slices.