• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Farmer's Market News. 8/13/2010.

20.jpg

Greetings!

Beach Lovers!

Summer is winding down and the kids are officially back in school, where did the summer go?! Its back to packing lunches, early morning shuttles to school, and afternoon sports. What a great time to start a new earth friendly habit like shopping at the market to get some local food into the kids breakfast and lunch. Foods like local milk, homemade breads, local tomato's, organic local eggs and honey are available this week at the market. And, shopping at the Farmer's Market is a great way to keep it local and have a low impact on our environment. It's also a good way to avoid all of the packaging and plastics that processed and prepared foods are stored in, not to mention the nasty preservatives.

Also, get stocked up for Labor Day weekend with NEW - NEW - NEW - NEW 100% Grass fed local Piedmontese ground beef, and Cheese from Ocheessee Cremery, local Okra, Squash, and Sprouts! All items available at your local farmers market this weekend.

The Seaside Farmers Market is a producer's market focused on food, produce, cooking demonstrations, specialty items, artisan cheeses and breads, novice and professional gardeners, seed exchanges, educational aspects of growing and preparing food, and the celebration of eating and sharing great ingredients. We look forward to developing these concepts and to your participation.

Have something to sell at the market? Call to reserve your place. 850-687-3494 or email jlkuntz@mac.com

We look forward to seeing you this weekend at the Seaside Farmer's Market! Saturday 8-noon!

There's nothing more valuable to organic gardening than soil--- through composting, mulching & cover cropping, we can do a great deal towards building healthy, rich soil over time. Not only does composting create rich soil which you can't purchase here even if you wanted to, but it puts leftover kitchen and yard wastes to good purpose rather than sending them to the landfill or down the disposal. Even though things can be biodegradable, we must remember that in a landfill they are often in an oxygen-free environment and will NOT break down.

Here are some tips to help make it easy:
Green = Nitrogen;
Green is kitchen scraps and anything still green.

Brown = Carbon;
Brown is anything brown such as dried leaves, grass clippings, etc.

You want to always cover your green layer with a brown layer that is 3 times larger. This will prevent bad odors, keep away insects and critters.

Keep your much-needed nitrogen in the compost pile, and create good soil structure. We usually collect bags of leaves off of the curb when people rake them and put them out--- definitely stockpile leaves when you see them as they are invaluable! AND, your neighbors already did the work for you by raking and bagging them!

If it's not raining, you'll want to water your compost pile once a week. A good tip is to keep it as damp as a wrung sponge. Too wet will make it smell, not wet enough will make it hard for those much-needed soil creating insects & microbes to survive.

Happy Composting!

Eat Local: 5pm Seaside Meeting Hall
Film: "Simply Raw" 7pm Seaside Meeting Hall

Join us for a potluck and a film presented by Raw and Juicy, and Twin Oaks Farm, at the Repertory Theater in Seaside.
The film this evening is Simply Raw:Reversing Diabetes in 30 days an independent documentary film that chronicles six Americans with 'incurable' diabetes switching their diet and getting off insulin.

The film follows each participant's remarkable journey and captures the medical, physical, and emotional transformations brought on by this diet and lifestyle change. We witness moments of struggle, support, and hope as what is revealed, with startling clarity, is that diet can reverse diabetes* and change lives.
Additional wisdom is provided by Morgan Spurlock, Woody Harrelson, Anthony Robbins, Rev. Michael Beckwith, David Wolfe and Doctors Fred Bisci, Joel Fuhrman, and Gabriel Cousens.
Watch the trailer

Eat Local
If you are joining us for the potluck before the movie please bring a food (with serving utensils) or beverage to share featuring local/regional foods. And it would be great if you could bring plates and cups for your own use, as well, though we will have some on-hand.

Here's a reminder on our food guidelines:
The main portion of any dish should be from local or regional ingredients grown or harvested in Florida, Georgia, or Alabama. ie. Zucchini bread should be made with zucchini that's as local as possible. But the flour, eggs, and other ingredients could be from anywhere, though if you can get them local--or organic-all the better.

Any meat should be from organic or free-range animals. And yes, harvested can include wild plants, nuts, fish or game.

Feel free to invite any friends who you know share your passion for eating locally!

And as always we encourage all of you to walk, ride your bike, or carpool!

"When we tug at a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world."
- John Muir

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Yes- game on at the Farmer's Market today!

I came home with a gigantic Mr. Stripey tomato- the honey guy brought a bunch down for NC I believe. It is a monster!!

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I missed out. We were going to ride the bikes over and the rain came so I got busy catching up on fun things like the budget :sarc:

Sounds YUM Jenny!

sweettooth

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2010
SOWAL BABY!!!!
i am utterly intrigued.... how do i get in on this amazing farmers market...... i have some delicious cupcakes i would like to share with sowal..........

i am utterly intrigued.... how do i get in on this amazing farmers market...... i have some delicious cupcakes i would like to share with sowal..........

Well, first you need to submit a dozen of your best cupcakes for formal testing procedures. I will send you my...errr the testing address for your perusal. ;-):D

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Have something to sell at the market? Call to reserve your place. 850-687-3494 or email jlkuntz@mac.com

And "tastes" of baked goods you are selling are highly encouraged/appreciated! :D