• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Waterman

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2005
Ventura County CA
The DOUBLE burger is a guarantee heart stopper, HOWEVER, worth all the pain it will create, Taste's wonderful! :clap_1: :clap_1:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
the cafe is a unique place in sowal! how many places are there that are so casual and serve up seafood baskets and burgers? we could use a few more places like it... just a casual place with good basic food, not too expensive, and very family friendly. I do miss Nicks (Blue Mt Bch) for basic fried shrimp and awesome hush puppies.

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
Yep - a shrimp and chicken box place would have them lined up out the door.

Tootsie said:
the cafe is a unique place in sowal! how many places are there that are so casual and serve up seafood baskets and burgers? we could use a few more places like it... just a casual place with good basic food, not too expensive, and very family friendly.
That's exactly what my husband and I were bemoaning this weekend. We've lost Wheelhouse (not that we ever went there, but it was cheap), Shades in Seaside, and possibly Seagrove Market Caf? all close by and relatively inexpensive. Saturday we thought about driving over to Shades on the Loop, but we were afraid we wouldn't get back in time for tip-off of the UF/KY game. So we decided to try to cheap out with the bar menu at Caf? 30-A. Well, the grouper on the old bar menu we had has gone from $12 to $17. We each ordered a salad and split a pizza. Since the wine was $7 a glass and up, we opted for a $29 bottle of wine (as cheap as 4 glasses of wine). Total bill: $77. NOT a cheap evening out. I adore Caf? 30-A, but from now on we'll only go if we're prepared to spend a boatload of money (and we might as well pay for the full meal deal).

Guess I need to get off my lazy butt, grill some fish or buy some steamed shrimp from Goatfeathers, and serve it with a bag salad, even if it means washing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen.

Waterman

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2005
Ventura County CA
Beach Runner said:
That's exactly what my husband and I were bemoaning this weekend. We've lost Wheelhouse (not that we ever went there, but it was cheap), Shades in Seaside, and possibly Seagrove Market Caf? all close by and relatively inexpensive. Saturday we thought about driving over to Shades on the Loop, but we were afraid we wouldn't get back in time for tip-off of the UF/KY game. So we decided to try to cheap out with the bar menu at Caf? 30-A. Well, the grouper on the old bar menu we had has gone from $12 to $17. We each ordered a salad and split a pizza. Since the wine was $7 a glass and up, we opted for a $29 bottle of wine (as cheap as 4 glasses of wine). Total bill: $77. NOT a cheap evening out. I adore Caf? 30-A, but from now on we'll only go if we're prepared to spend a boatload of money (and we might as well pay for the full meal deal).

Guess I need to get off my lazy butt, grill some fish or buy some steamed shrimp from Goatfeathers, and serve it with a bag salad, even if it means washing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen.

WELL SAID! :lolabove: :clap_1:

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Amp22 said:
They look awful. Bikes and cars will be running into them. It looks like to me they put the bike path on the wrong side of the street. People coming in and out of the store will be dodging bikes and people will be getting hit by bikes.

I guess all of it will be gone soon.

i'm sure that their looks was not of primary concern when they were put in, probably it was about safety. who's, i do not know. pedestrians? and, i seriously doubt people will be running into them, they are quite hard to miss, probably by design. while the former parking situation at the market was quaint and comfortable, who can honestly say they looked forward to parking over there during high season?

i too will miss the market and what it represents. there are not (m)any casual, affordable, walk in with sandy feet and wet suit places on 30a or elsewhere, left. and it will be quite hard to recreate in the lobby of the new hotel. but, i'm thinking the market has a life of at least 90 days left. nothing's going to happen over there until the bank ends up on the fire dept lot, and they're still scraping dirt there. let's enjoy it while we have it.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Beach Runner said:
So we decided to try to cheap out with the bar menu at Caf? 30-A. Well, the grouper on the old bar menu we had has gone from $12 to $17. We each ordered a salad and split a pizza. Since the wine was $7 a glass and up, we opted for a $29 bottle of wine (as cheap as 4 glasses of wine). Total bill: $77.

Can't say I relish "Plan B."

Recreate the $77 (sans generous tip) menu: Dominos Take-Out, a bottle of wine, and forget the salad...and forget the dishes!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SHELLY said:

Recreate the $77 (sans generous tip) menu: Dominos Take-Out, a bottle of wine, and forget the salad...and forget the dishes!
Do you know of a Dominoes in the area of which I am unaware?

SHELLY said:

That's pretty much what we've decided - Bruno's (SJ they've never been mean to me), a bottle of wine for $10, a bag salad, and dig out the good olive oil and balsamic vinegar from the owner's closet. That'd be about $30.

I don't mind cooking when we're here for a week. But when we're just down for a weekend, it's a pain to dig all of the staples and cleaning products out of the owner's closet, even if it is fairly well organized.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Beach Runner said:
That's pretty much what we've decided - Bruno's (SJ they've never been mean to me), a bottle of wine for $10, a bag salad, and dig out the good olive oil and balsamic vinegar from the owner's closet. That'd be about $30.

I don't mind cooking when we're here for a week. But when we're just down for a weekend, it's a pain to dig all of the staples and cleaning products out of the owner's closet, even if it is fairly well organized.

Drat! I am planning to create an owner's closet because I thought that would solve all my organization problems at the cottage... Oh well.

As for food (my favorite topic on this message board), I think there's an inexpensive place to get hot dogs in Grayton Beach. Given that so much food has gone upscale, I think there's a real opportunity for some entrepreneurs to have vending carts along 30A. Low over-head, can adjust easily to the seasons, and serve a real need (cheap food you can order while barefoot and with sandy feet). The oyster po boy sandwiches at the new Shades by the Loop are about $7.00 and excellent. Ok, it's time for a new thrad on cheap eats on 30A.