• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Can anyone give me a range for the costs involved with putting in infrastructure to a small development? (basic asphalt street, curbs, storm drainage, water, sewer, utilities, etc.) I have heard prices from $200 to $400 per linear foot. I would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences with this phase of a development project.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
DuneDog said:
Can anyone give me a range for the costs involved with putting in infrastructure to a small development? (basic asphalt street, curbs, storm drainage, water, sewer, utilities, etc.) I have heard prices from $200 to $400 per linear foot. I would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences with this phase of a development project.
Your prices are in the correct range for the basics road with ribbon curbing, sewer, water, electric.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Smiling JOe said:
Your prices are in the correct range for the basics road with ribbon curbing, sewer, water, electric.

Thanks, I am considering a project and was running some numbers.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
I looked back on some numbers I had calculated in July '04 for a small development and came up with around $307/LF.

That cost included: surveys, engineering fees, clearing, water, sewer, phone, cable, and roads.

Here are a few breakdowns from that number:

Cost to run sewer - $13/LF, plus add $1,100 per manhole
Cost to run water - $8.5/LF, plus add $2,150 per hydrant
Cost for Chelco to run power - $815 per lot
Cost of asphalt road with concrete edging -$6.56/SF

That did not include:

Water/Sewer Impact Fees - at around $6,400 per lot.
Landscaping -required by the county

Good luck, and please don't cut down all the trees!

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
twt512 said:
I looked back on some numbers I had calculated in July '04 for a small development and came up with around $307/LF.

That cost included: surveys, engineering fees, clearing, water, sewer, phone, cable, and roads.

That did not include:

Thanks for the info. I guess prices would be a bit higher today but your numbers also include some of the cost I wasnt adding in.

BTW I wouldn't dream of cutting too many trees... thats where the value is.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
twt512 said:

That did not include:

How are impact fees determined? Is that the same as a tap fee and are they paid at the time the lot is developed or when the home is built?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
DuneDog said:
Thanks for the info. I guess prices would be a bit higher today but your numbers also include some of the cost I wasnt adding in.

BTW I wouldn't dream of cutting too many trees... thats where the value is.[/QUOTE]

You are a good citizen and I applaud you. :clap_1:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
DuneDog said:
How are impact fees determined? Is that the same as a tap fee and are they paid at the time the lot is developed or when the home is built?

Yes they are tap fees, and for things like fire -just a general impact fee. They are a standard $ amount per lot. For a development, the county requires that these fees be paid when the developer submits for a Development Order.

OKon30a

Beach Comber
Nov 27, 2005
Actual cost will vary depending on the contractor- it pays to to get several bid's as there may be substantial differences in the amount that is paid. I am personally working on completing 4 subdivisions at this time and we typically break those numbers down into "per lot" cost. As a builder/ developer I can tell you fluctuations in those cost are very real. Material cost have increased dramatically over the last year and factors related to labor have increased. The "busy" factor can add dollars as well.

You can expect to pay "lock and key" (includes sewer taps- $7800-) in a range from $35k-55k per lot. Beware of lower bids as "change orders" will increase overall cost significantly- the same way some builder's operate. Hope that helps.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
OKon30a said:

You can expect to pay "lock and key" (includes sewer taps- $7800-) in a range from $35k-55k per lot. Beware of lower bids as "change orders" will increase overall cost significantly- the same way some builder's operate. Hope that helps.
Much of that variation on price per lot can occur based on nothing more than density, but OK is dead on regarding what developers look at. What is my cost vs. what can I sell it for.