• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
This is a deeply emotional and a very difficult thing to do but I need to find a new home for my eclectus parrot.
His name is Merlin, he's about 4 yrs old. I've had him since he was 4 months old. He is not an easy keeper (now) mainly because he has been riding a roller coaster of emotional distress with me starting a couple yrs ago when my Mother became ill with dementia and other issues. So this is the problem, my life is still crazy and he picks up this distress and its affecting him, and its really unfair.
I also rescued and adopted 2 Labradors the last yr.. (now have three), and I never would have imagined that Merlin could become so jealous. He wants to go from room to room with me just like the dogs do and when he cannot he is pretty verbal about his displeasure.
Another thing, I live in my studio, I'm a painter and I now have a need to use other art materials that would not be healthy or safe with a bird. Birds have air sacs not lungs and cannot filter their air. So as much as this hurts to think about giving up one of my animal kids
it seems the best thing for Merlin if he could be with some one who has time to devote to him and does not deal with crazy relatives and lots of stress. I have done everything I can think of to rearrange and alter my environment but until my situation (family issues) change, there will be stress, and I think he is starting to have problems with it all, He is starting to pluck under his wings as a result of his distress. I have had him vet checked but it was determined this is most likely a result of my stress, So before anything else gets worse for him I have to make a decision to do whats best for Merlin.

Eclectus require lots of fresh fruits and vegis/ cooked legumes along with sprouts as the main part of their diet, they can not survive at all on a seed diet or pellets. Its not easy or cheap to own an exotic parrot. Expect to be cooking for this type of bird. Merlin needs an experienced bird person too, he is way too much to handle if your past bird experience has only been smaller birds . I am asking $500.00 for him which includes a large cage, a large play stand, and all his toys and misc.
I really struggled with the decision to place a price on the re homing thing, but decided it was right for 2 reasons. First reason and MOST IMPORTANT...if someone is unwilling to pay this amount they probably can't afford the upkeep of an exotic bird, if you are an experienced bird person you recognize this is a small fee in the grand scheme of the bird world.... and secondly it's a way of making sure any new parent has a real commitment and the experience.
Please PM me for additional info if you are interested.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
He is gorgeous! I wish I had the time for him. You are a good bird mama:love:

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
T.Cline...I met you at Alaqua when you took one of your beautiful rescues home. You are a very kind and loving person who is simply faced with a very tough decision through no fault of your own. Giving Merlin a chance to be in a home where he will be at peace is the best gift you can give him. I hope that does happen and I know you will be very selective in his new home. Good wishes.

Aleigh

Beach Lover
T.Cline...I met you at Alaqua when you took one of your beautiful rescues home. You are a very kind and loving person who is simply faced with a very tough decision through no fault of your own. Giving Merlin a chance to be in a home where he will be at peace is the best gift you can give him. I hope that does happen and I know you will be very selective in his new home. Good wishes.

Please see my pm to you... I have a perfect Bird Sanctuary.. Merlin will be loved by both me and my 16/yo daughter.... we would love to have an adoption interview... Here's a photo of my deck.:love:

thanks rolling dune, appreciate the kind words!

Merlin update

Thanks so the people who inquired about adopting Merlin, but as it turns out I can't go through with it. So....made umteen changes this last week to accommodate work and bird cohabitation in a better way. And hopefully "other stress" ie. family issues will participate in a more harmonious fashion so overall we can all stay in our "happy place".:D