• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Gives new meaning to the puck balcony! :D

PalmBeach

Beach Lover
Feb 21, 2007
Condo ownership is limited to the interior space. Balconies are restricted-use common area that is maintained and insured by the condo association.

It is not possible to smoke on a balcony without reducing the enjoyment of an adjacent owner that does not smoke. The non-smoker is forced to not use their own balcony. THAT is "a violation of someone's right to use and enjoyment of their property". I bet that there are other rules designed to keep occupants of one unit from disturbing occupants of other adjacent units.

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Am I correct in assuming that this issue was put before the required quorum of the ownership and passed by the majority vote stipulated in the condo docs (a copy of which must be provided at time of purchase by Florida state law)?

The docs specific to the condo provide the basis for specific bylaw & rule changes, etc. etc..

However, if memory serves, should a precedent get set that a rule is not consistently enforced for some period of time... then it becomes sort of moot and unenforceable.

It's been 10 years since I served on a condo board... so things may have changed. If this is outdated info someone please chime in.

DuneAHH:

If memory serves, the original condo docs required a vote of 66% by the owners in order to change the rules. I don't know if it was ever put to a full vote as I didn't have any advance warning of an upcoming change, or discussion.

I told one of the BOD members I believed the new rule infringed on owners private property use rights and was displeased that the board passed the rule without alerting me in advance of any discussion. He stated that according to their attorney, legally all the Board had to do to notify owners of an upcoming meeting was to post a note at the lobby level.

I guess I need to come into town more frequently...

Little Fish

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Mango:

Thanks for your post.

Although the maintenance of unit balconies are the sole obligation of the individual owner, balconies are considered limited common areas in our building. The Board's attorney has "suggested" the Association has the right to set policies for limited common areas; hence, the no-smoking rule.

I find this to be a very complex issue as I understand that some owners like to smoke on their balconies while others cannot stand second hand smoke that drifts onto their balcony. Both sets of owners have the right to enjoy their property. Who is right... I have no idea.

If I was on the Board, I'm not sure I'd be willing to take up this issue when the potential cost to an Association in litigation is high.

It's okay to grill on your deck, have dinner with your finest crystal and china on your deck, have pets on your deck, play your boombox on your deck... heck, it's probably okay to sunbathe nude on your deck... but if it comes to smoking a legal product on your deck...

your're going to get the paddle.

Little Fish

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I guess you could always stink up the inside of your condo.

Koa:

Persnally, when I have a smoke it is always outside as I, like you, want to avoid the odor that clings to furniture etc. I rent my unit and my contract states that the rental is a non-smoking unit although I allow smoking on the balcony.

Invariably, should the Association decide to enforce this rule, smokers will continue to smoke but will move inside. This will happen with smoker-friendly and non-smoker friendly owners. Which is worse from a non-smoking owners perspective?

Little Fish

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Kurt:

There is no stated penalty. The HOA has the right to impose fines and has a proceedure in place should fines be levied, but there is no system in place that spells out what the fines might be.

Scooter:

The HOA did not establish any approved smoking areas. This is now a smoke free building.

Little Fish

The fine policy will be clearly detailed in the rules and regs. Ask the HOA / management company for a copy.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
Our condominium HOA passed a new regulation that prohibits smoking in all common and limited common areas. The rule specifically prohibits smoking on unit balconies.

I don't have a problem with the HOA making the building a smoke-free environment, but I do take issue with the HOA telling me that I can't smoke on my own balcony.

Q) Anyone out there have any idea of whether or not this type of rule is enforceable in Florida?

Q) Further, would owners who purchased units prior to the rule be grandfathered from such a rule?

Thoughts?

Little Fish

Seems to me if the condo can notify residents when they have to have additional fees to fix an unexpected roof leak, or the unexpected repair to the building, that they could use the same mailing addresses to notify non present residents the right to express their opinion on smoking or not smoking on their balconies. I am sure that they wouldn't count on a just a notice pin up in the lobby to ask for repair money.