• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
It's wonderful so many get to enjoy this beautiful place all because one woman cared about future generations.This year there will be four generations of my family there because of Beach Mama.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
At least 10 of the pictures in this production are from the private Anna Smith/Sonny Hollingsworth collection. The Smith family has a long Grayton Beach history.

P.W. Smith visited Grayton Beach in 1899. His daughter, Anna Smith Hollingworth Reardon, would later write the story of this early beach visit along with other Smith memoirs. Anna's brother was Tuff Smith. Tuff and Alline Smith built their house in Grayton in 1925. The pictures of the boats coming in from fishing are Tuff.

Anna is featured in the one entertaining the troups. The Smith's loved their dogs and several of the dog pictures are from their collection. Sonny Hollingsworth is Anna Smith's son. He attended the SRB100 this year and enjoyed the worm thumping, an event Anna's sister wrote about recounting how she and her sister helped Tuff gather his worms for fishing.

The Smith house was across the street for many years from the Butler store. It has since been moved, but is still in Grayton Beach. It is the house featured with the car out front. The Smiths had moved to Walton County from South Dakota between 1901 and 1903. Others moved from South Dakota such as the Butlers. Sonny, Van Ness and Thornber were all school mates. L.I. Smith was the family patriarch and businessman who owned resorts in Camp Walton, a home on the historic circle in DeFuniak, numerous other interests in Northwest Florida and was a banker.

The Smith family also ran a dairy in DeFuniak Springs for many years (1906-1949). One of the original homes still stands on 331. Another home from the dairy was moved to Pt. Washington. Many families spent time living between DeFuniak, Grayton and other historic beach communities in South Walton.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
Seems that it would be fitting and proper to have a monument or a marker some where in Grayton to give recognition to those people who didn't give up the cause. Maybe there is one, I just haven't seen one.

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
Seems that it would be fitting and proper to have a monument or a marker some where in Grayton to give recognition to those people who didn't give up the cause. Maybe there is one, I just haven't seen one.

That what I was thinking! They should not be forgotten!