• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The times they do change. its called "progress".. I don't like it either, but it comes with the crowds. We joined the ranks of all the other civilized beaches across Florida. Yes, I am a little cynical about it since I've had to watch the "progress".. but I'm also grateful. Its a great place to live and work and love.

I was devastated when they banned dogs several years ago. the community was up in arms over it. but, realistically, for a growing tourist resort town, there was no way around it.

you can embrace it or you can just go on down to Indian Pass or Cape San Blas area and enjoy the wide open beaches as they are meant to be. free and easy.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
St. George Is. (east of us) used to have a 'dog friendly' reputation in that the doggies could play on the beach off lead. Even they have had to implement leash laws and permits to be on the beach.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe Sweet Pea is properly permitted this year! I better get that done so she won't have to go to jail.

raven316

Beach Lover
Nov 12, 2007
Athens, GA
St. George Is. (east of us) used to have a 'dog friendly' reputation in that the doggies could play on the beach off lead. Even they have had to implement leash laws and permits to be on the beach.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe Sweet Pea is properly permitted this year! I better get that done so she won't have to go to jail.

Yea, we go there too. It's just hard to get out on a fishin boat over there.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Cowboy would break Sweet Pea out of jail in a cocaine heartbeat Lynnie! lol

:lol: Sweet Pea going to jail would break my heart! She'd probably love the attention, though. And, you're right about Cowboy.....he sooooo misses her when she's gone. :love:

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
OK, it looks like things are pretty good with the beaches. I assume you still have your draconian laws that will keep my pups from enjoying a little sand time if we decide to come back down in November?

Yea, and this is the one I am thinking about visiting. You spend all kinds of time and money begging people to come there and then have this. if it's such a big deal then ban them all.

So ban people too, that's what they are trying to do on the Outer Banks.

We all feel your frustration, and none of us like it just as you don't, but you're preaching to the choir, here. We're on your side. Please don't let this degrade to the point of being snarky at those who are on your side...

raven316

Beach Lover
Nov 12, 2007
Athens, GA
We all feel your frustration, and none of us like it just as you don't, but you're preaching to the choir, here. We're on your side. Please don't let this degrade to the point of being snarky at those who are on your side...
Nah, I had the same conversation last year. We came at Thanksgiving, mostly followed the rules and had a good time. I thought since it was such a tough year maybe they had loosened up a little. I'd think about cautioning the comments to skip the diatribes as well. Say what you want but my guess is that there are residents who are very bit as irresponsible as some visitors. I watch the morons come in and trash Athens for every home game too.

As far as the Outer Banks I don't know how much you know about them closing sections of beach at the site of a bird species that is not even indigenous but the locals are up in arms about that.

Last edited:

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
Nah, I had the same conversation last year. We came at Thanksgiving, mostly followed the rules and had a good time. I thought since it was such a tough year maybe they had loosened up a little. I'd think about cautioning the comments to skip the diatribes as well. Say what you want but my guess is that there are residents who are very bit as irresponsible as some visitors. I watch the morons come in and trash Athens for every home game too.

As far as the Outer Banks I don't know how much you know about them closing sections of beach at the site of a bird species that is not even indigenous but the locals are up in arms about that.

A tough year, yes, but why would that make us more willing to step in barely-buried dogshoot in the sand? And why do visitors that trash Athens compel us to be more tolerant of the same boorish behavior?

You're the one who initially asked whether we still have the same rules. The answer is 'yes'. Please try to relax a little before you get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.