• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

thoughtsofone

Beach Comber
SoWal'ers,

My name is Chris and I am long time lurker and seldom poster. You may have seen me posting before looking for information needed to move my wife and I to SoWal. Honestly the few times that I have posted you guys have been incredibly helpful but I have just chickened out on the daunting task of uprooting and moving to SoWal. The timing was just never right but now something has awoken in me.

It has always been a dream of mine to call SoWal home and upon reflecting on my life I have realized that it is silly to give up on my dreams. I have some great talents that could lend to some great jobs in SoWal and that's where I need your help!

I have posted a job over in the Employment section of the forums and I wanted to see if I could get you guys to take a gander at it. I would appreciate any help that you may be willing to offer. Essentially I am looking for a job in Social Media or New Media Marketing. It entails capitalizing on social and internet trends to market and grow a business. Day to day of this job would include creating content such as blogs and video blogs, creating promotions and building communication and communities on social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, Sowal.com, as well as finding new ways to use technology to grow. This is a growing trend in companies all across the world yet it seems, from what I can tell, to not have really hit SoWal yet. I have scoured this site as well as the local newspapers and major job sites like Monster, CareerBuilder, etc. I think there are numerous companies and even cities that could take advantage of a position like this. For example, the office Seaside Times blog hasn't been updated since 2009!

Again I appreciate the time you all have taken and the generous advice you guys have supplied to me in the past. Below is a link to my post in the Employment section of the forums. I help you don't think I am spamming because I am just trying as hard as I can to make my dreams a reality like many of you!

http://www.sowal.com/bb/employment/51054-job-wanted-social-media-new-media-marketing.html

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Chris

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Chris,

Great post. Have you considered freelancing? I'm guessing that with many of the businesses here limping along waiting on BP checks (that may or may not cover their actual losses), not too many are hiting fulltime folks. but I bet a lot ARE looking for new ways to promote their businesses, and would be willing to pay a consulting fee or some kind of freelance deal for your services.

Best of luck!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Welcome!

The thing to remember about SoWal is that it's effectively a small town with a business climate to match- a handful of larger employers and then a whole bunch of relatively small businesses. So you're talking a relatively small number of businesses who have the financials to hire someone full time, and whole bunch of selling the idea that your freelance projects will add value for the small business owners.

I'd probably expand the job search area. Your skills and target job might find a better fit in the Panama City Beach area (not a bad commute from much of SoWal if you have to physically be there) because they've got more bigger businesses aware of current web practices and trends and who still love to find new ways to get their share of the college spring break pie every year. I'd get in touch with their tourist development council, find out who the bigger companies are over there, and then go sell yourself to that particular good old boys network.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I know someone working in social media who might be able to help you! Send me your email address and I'll connect you!