• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
If we're okay with just driving the extra distance to the Destin Walmart, does that mean we're bad for expanding our carbon footprint, thereby destroying our ozone and, hence, mankind? Call me looney, but I think that's the greater evil......don't you?!

seems to me that driving to Destin or Panama City for an occasional shopping trip has very little environmental impact compared to the addition of just ONE Super Walmart store in a small coastal community blessed with incredible natural and beautiful environments between the Gulf of Mexico and the Choctawhatchee Bay - much of it preserved as State Land. We have three (or 4?) Walmarts within 30 minutes from the beach. The impact of another Super Walmart to the general area increases the use of resources in building and operations - and without end.

but you have a point - when we get our own Walmart we can save the driving time and spend more time consuming.:sarc: which I enjoy doing as well as anyone else. and I'm damn good at it... I just prefer other stores. I mean it when I say that choice is good for all of us. So, while I would rather a Walmart not come and change the face of my little community because I personally do not need it, it is coming and it is what at least half or more residents want and apparently need.

I'm not really worried about one little ole Super Walmart in our community. Now I'm just praying its only one.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I agree on these points and the questions are good ones. I hope you get an answer. I think that most - and I may be speaking out of turn here - who do not support Walmart in SoWal are not Walmart shoppers to begin with. Also, just the idea of something this big so close and the threat of changing the area forever is a concern for many. And I do understand that. It is such a charming area with its lack of the usual sprawl, the beautiful natural surroundings, etc... and really alllll of the "sprawl" is very close should one want to venture forth.

That's just my take on it anyway. ;-)

BTW, my bad on mentioning in an earlier post about you and White Cliffs - I think you live at Sea Bluff instead. IDK lol I can't keep up! Anyway, whatever :wave:

G
Yes, I do live in Sea Bluff. It is my intention one of these days soon to come over and see that house you have built. The pictures I have seen are wonderful.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
If we're okay with just driving the extra distance to the Destin Walmart, does that mean we're bad for expanding our carbon footprint, thereby destroying our ozone and, hence, mankind? Call me looney, but I think that's the greater evil......don't you?!

Of course I see your point and you are not looney! :wave: It is important that people conserve resources. My personal carbon footprint is very low. I mean I live in a house that makes energy that is sent back into the community/co-op, I ride my bike to the beach, I eat very little animal products, I try and grow some food, I hang my clothes on the solar dryer, and I PLAN carefully all of my trips into Destin. I don't just haphazardly drive over at a whim to pick up cheaper tomatoes. :cool: (dh has plans in the future to turn this old Honda into electric beach buggie btw) I am in the car maybe once a week - dh bikes to Publix and we both bike to FTHOI. Our trips to Destin are to take care of many things. IF we had everything in Destin right here then "here" wouldn't be what it is but perhaps it will be if it all moves here. :shock: All I am saying is that 6 miles to the new SoWal Walmart VS 18 miles to the Destin WM isn't a lot of difference when planning a trip. I never just drive to Destin only to go to Walmart. :D

G

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
seems to me that driving to Destin or Panama City for an occasional shopping trip has very little environmental impact compared to the addition of just ONE Super Walmart store in a small coastal community blessed with incredible natural and beautiful environments between the Gulf of Mexico and the Choctawhatchee Bay - much of it preserved as State Land. We have three (or 4?) Walmarts within 30 minutes from the beach. The impact of another Super Walmart to the general area increases the use of resources in building and operations - and without end.

Super excellent points Tootsie!! :clap:

It would be cool if there was a public transportation system for those occasional trips too! :D

G

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

but you have a point - when we get our own Walmart we can save the driving time and spend more time consuming.:sarc: which I enjoy doing as well as anyone else. and I'm damn good at it... I just prefer other stores. I mean it when I say that choice is good for all of us. So, while I would rather a Walmart not come and change the face of my little community because I personally do not need it, it is coming and it is what at least half or more residents want and apparently need.

I'm not really worried about one little ole Super Walmart in our community. Now I'm just praying its only one.

Anyone know the size of other area walmarts for perspective? I know the one in Lynn Haven is over 200K sq ft. from what I found on the internet. But so far, unable to find one that I can compare with the new one. I see where they are also building one in Niceville.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Anyone know where this development stands right now? I was under the impression it was to be opened the end of this year. Haven't seen any clearing done on the property. I hope it went away. :dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Anyone know where this development stands right now? I was under the impression it was to be opened the end of this year. Haven't seen any clearing done on the property. I hope it went away. :dunno:

Me too - Wal-mart had a rough year and is apparently more interested in international expansion ($4 billion deal in the works for South Africa).