• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
Or, maybe having cheap goods will make people my more often and give more leftovers to Caring and Sharing and Goodwill.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Frank's Cash and Carry
Southbay Ace
Modica Market
John John Auto
Scotty's Auto
etc...

For the Health of It
both Tom Thumbs
Sally's by the Seastore
Santa Rosa Pharmacy
every store at Grand Blvd

there are too many local businesses to begin to name. they will literally all be effected in some way.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
It will be very hard for me NOT to shop there because of convenience. I will have to pass it on the way to anywhere. I don't dislike Walmart, but i think the Destin store had it covered, and of course I would just rather have the trees there instead of concrete. I will have to make a conscious effort to bypass. Will this store have a grocery? I keep singing this song in my head. :love:

Well this life that I've lead has took me everywhere
There ain't no place I ain't never gone
But its kind of like the saying that you heard so many times
Well there just ain't no plae like home
Did you ever see a she-gator protect her young
Or a fish in a river swimming free
Did you ever see the beauty of the hills of Carolina
Or the sweetness of the grass in Tennessee
And Lord I can't make any changes
All I can do is write 'em in a song
I can see the concrete slowly creepin'
Lord take me and mine before that comes

Do you like to see a mountain stream a-flowin'
Do you like to see a youngun with his dog
Did you ever stop to think about, well, the air your breathin'
Well you better listen to my song

I'm not tryin' to put down no big cities
But the things they write about us is just a bore
Well you can take a boy out of ol' Dixieland
But you'll never take ol' Dixie from a boy
'Cause I can see the concrete slowly creepin'

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Last edited by a moderator:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Wal-mart is the opposite of convenience IMO.

Giant store (specifically designed to make things difficult to locate so I spend more money), huge dirty parking lot, unhelpful staff, long checkout lines, and crappy products that don't last so I have to buy then again.

If I can't buy it at a local store, then can't get it at Target, I don't really need it.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Wal-mart is the opposite of convenience IMO.

Giant store (specifically designed to make things difficult to locate so I spend more money), huge dirty parking lot, unhelpful staff, long checkout lines, and crappy products that don't last so I have to buy then again.

If I can't buy it at a local store, then can't get it at Target, I don't really need it.

By convenience, I mean the location is at the end of my street. It'll be very "convenient" to just run up the street to buy milk instead of driving to tom thumb, publix or another location. :wave: Believe me, I hate it. Going down to take some pictures for my kids so they can see what it was like before the concrete crept. :sosad:

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
I think for this store, Walmart is required to have a minimum of 40% dedicated for groceries.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Santa Rosa Pharmacy
Beach Bums

Publix won't but "put at risk," but they will definitely have to start competing on pricing.

There will be the good and the bad coming when the Not-So-Super Walmart opens. If you don't like what Walmart does to an area, spend your money elsewhere.

Santa Rosa Pharmacy has already been hit hard by Publix, which always gets a free pass in this discussion for some reason. Is Beach Bums the surf shop in Gulf Place? If so, if they sell high quality stuff to a dedicated clientele, they should be fine. I have never been there, so I'm not sure. If they sell run of the mill beach crap I would say Publix and 2 outlets of Snappy Turtle would be bigger competitors.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Frank's Cash and Carry
Southbay Ace
Modica Market
John John Auto
Scotty's Auto
etc...

Nope, hardware stores will be fine because of commercial accounts. I don't think there will be an auto service center at the new Wal-Mart, so I don't think the mechanics are in jeapordy. Modica's is a cash cow with a captive, free spending clientele and will never be in any form of trouble unless they commit economic suicide somehow.

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
Maybe a Mexican restaurant will come. We ourselves spent more time in Penneys and Target at Pier Park ourselves. 30A is unique sure, we have driven it from one end to the other, we do like the area of Rosemary Beach and the beautiful trees there which are down the middle of 30A. I love the area of Mexico Beach, small town charm there, mostly beach homes and a few motels, but you don't find again many of the things we like to do, that is where PC Beach comes into the picture. The standard look to the beach homes are what I like. But regardless, the beaches are all the same as to beauty from Pensacola Beach to Mexico Beach.

i like this area also, ever bought groceries there? You have one small store. If they don't have it or you don't like the price they charge too bad!
But , their FRESH SEAFOOD or the best! One time I had raw oysters on potato chips for supper cause they were out of crackers!! But that added to the local flavor of the region. Do I miss not having some damn chain within 15-20 miles ,,,that would be NO!

Heck, i liked 30A back when you simply got groceries in Destin on your way in and then had good fresh meat at Seagrove Market!
NO TO WALMART AND OTHER BIG CHAINS IN SOWAL!!
I also don't want tat parlors, big box stores selling t-shirts etc .If that's what your looking for go to Gulf Shores, Destin or other generic beaches.
I get soo frustrated when people say oh, it doesn't matter where we go , all beaches are alike,,, NOT

i take all this very seriously,sorry if this offends anyone