• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
Looking at Deer Lake State Park north of Hwy 30A, west of the Nature Trail on Oct. 3, I was disturbed and anguished. They have cut a road right over the only example I have found of earthball growing with deer lichen.

Followed the road maybe 30 to 50 feet north into the forest, where it branches into a T parallel to 30A. One branch angles toward the lake, the other towards the Nature Path.

What is my topic? Is it that I joined Friends of DLSP to be in on such decisions and obviously Friends are not consulted on decisions or even notified as to status.

Is it the seeming stupidity of carving this woods up more? It is riddled with logging and other commercial roads that are very gradually returning to being native. How can they justify this destruction?

Is it how I love these little plants and I feel their utter helplessness and terror at being crushed, uprooted, murdered?

Or is it past experience beating me down, cynically remembering the thinly veiled distain greeting my pleas to save deer lichen. They say they have no choice. They say roads are more important than forest. They say they have to make the park accessible. They do not care. They don?t feel for the plants.

Or am I crying for myself because I know I won?t do what it takes to get what I want? I?ll sit at the computer and do artwork and won?t be the activist needed.

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
If you want to know what's going on you need to call the park (850) 267-8300 I think the manager is the same for Grayton Beach State Park. When I read the title of your post I expected to see asphalt.

CampCreekLou

Beach Lover
Feb 25, 2005
Let us know what you find out.

But, plants don't feel helplessness and terror at being crushed, uprooted, or murdered.....

So, rest easy.

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
Prescribed burn control & I feel that plants feel

Let us know what you find out.

But, plants don't feel helplessness and terror at being crushed, uprooted, or murdered..... <snip>
Soappedaler, thanks for your comments too. I talked to Matthew Allen, who informed me that the road cutting is for access to a controlled burn of the area, which is coming up soon. I will email him info about earthballs and deer lichen so he is sensitized to these plants.

Lou, I don't know your authority to speak for plants. I feel that plants have consciousness, as does everything. I try to communicate, as best I can.

I'm going to walk the new fire breaks soon and will report.

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
gratuitous chuckle

Irrelevant, I guess, but I had to laugh after inadvertently hovering over an ad that has now disappeared. It was at the top right of the page, for "Sunburst Vacations". The text that appeared said "Sunbust Vacations".