• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
My husband teaches, so we can't always take advantage of optimum times or rates. We have been coming down the day after Xmas these past two years and it has been so cold - at night especially. We do enjoy being able to walk and ride our bikes whenever during the day and like dining out so not be able to sit on the beach hasn't been that big of a deal. But this past NYE, I was on the beach in my long wool coat and ear muffs! (I took earmuffs with me to Maui for the early morning bike ride down the volcano in November. That is cold. We hope to return with UL in 2012.) Ellen

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
My daughter and I were in SoWal yesterday for about 6 hours. The water was stunning and the weather was fabulous. No crowds - easy parking and walking. A wonderful (although short) visit. Can't wait to download my pics.

librarian

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2009
i'll be down thursday afternoon through sunday but HAVE to get in at least a litttle outlet shopping-son needs warmer clothes-is there going to be any bad weather this week when i might choose shopping over beach?

sallyh

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
October 1 began the best two week period in South Walton, as usual. The Gulf begins to lay flat, and get's more clear than the water in your faucet. You may have to fight off the dog flies on occasion, but damn, if you don't like this weather, you won't ever like South Walton. I live for the first half of October at the beach. Better soak up every day because when Oct 15 comes around, the weather changes. The Gulf gets cooler and you have to start hiding from the wind. :cool:

I TOE-tally agree!! I'll be there 10/09 for a week! Can't wait! We love October the best too. No crowds, condo still has beach service, warm water, lovely everything!!

What's your best advice on fighting off the dog flies?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
One of my best days ever was fishing on the beach on December 15th when it was 78 degrees.

I have pics of my kids swimming on New Year's Day a couple of years ago.

You just never know!

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
If you mean the plane strafing beaches with poison - no thanks!

Flies are not more numerous now anyway.

As usual, I disagree! Dog Flies have been terrible! I'm sure you meant "spraying"... And as usual, if you have another viable alternative... however, I have yet to hear it.