• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If I'm reading this correctly and Amendment 4 were in place at the time then the voters could have said no and the county wouldn't be liable, possibly, for millions of dollars in damages?

Just saying.
Perhaps, but maybe the six people who would have shown up to vote on it would have passed it, and we would have a high rise in Freeport.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Perhaps, but maybe the six people who would have shown up to vote on it would have passed it, and we would have a high rise in Freeport.

I don't see anywhere in Amendment 4 where it calls for special elections. The cynical comment of 6 people showing up is just that. Granted only 27.53% of registered voters turned out for the midterm primaries, but that's still a total of 10,073 votes.

http://votewaltoncounty.com/Election Results/Primary 2010 Official Summary Report.pdf

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
If Amendment 4 passes, there would be no special elections - these items would be voted on during regularly scheduled elections.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You know I don't drink any flavor Kool-Aid, SWGB. I haven't mentioned special elections. I may be wrong to guess how most people vote, but when I'm uncertain of how to vote on something, I don't vote at all. Imagine Walton County voters trying to sort through 100+ land issues on a ballot. Maybe they are worded to be in default of in favor of the project. It can easily be done. Double negatives and a little legal wordiness and people won't know if they are voting for or against a project.

I mentioned 6 people showing up to vote on this issue because if I correctly recall, there were six people who spoke about this project at the Walton County Commissioner's meeting where it was finally approved.

I'm in favor of being able to publicly question the developer/engineers/etc on a project and have them explain their plans if not clearly done so on paper. Ever seen all the plans submitted with a project? They would be more than enough to confuse any voter and voting wouldn't take 3 minutes per person for the entire ballot. Rather, it might take a person who is very familiar with all the projects more than 20 minutes to vote. The not so well versed voters may take more than an hour, but we both know they will leave before voting, or they will just checkbox all for or all agin, which isn't good for anyone.

One last thought on Amendment 4 ? I think that every property owner or citizen of Walton County should be able to have a say so on what may affect their property value or their enjoyment of property. If Amendment 4 passes, only registered voters of Walton County will have a say so in how neighboring properties may be developed. That strips away their voice, and that isn't fair.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Alright, leave the power to decide in the hands of a few. How many people showed up to demand a concrete plant be built in their neighborhood? How many people were against it? It got built didn't it?

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
I thought you were in favor of having paved roads and sidewalks. Cannot have roads and sidewalks without concrete and asphalt plants nearby.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It is my firm belief that those favoring passage of Amendment 4 are one of three things. Greedy, without any land use knowledge or totally anti local government. If you think development now is uncontrolled and irresponsible, just wait until something like Amendment 4 passes.
SWGB, I am not sure what you do for a living, but I will come and take over your job for a week and I will guarantee that it will be less successful at the end of that time than it is now. The same thing applies to community planning. To be done properly it demands a great degree of education and experience. Please note the word "properly". It is not an area that should be decided by the voting public. SJ has it exactly correct in his post above.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think many who favor it are those who are all too aware of the level of corruption and bias of those currently making the decisions.

Not saying amendment 4 is a great solution (actual zoning and planning would be much better.)

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I think many who favor it are those who are all too aware of the level of corruption and bias of those currently making the decisions.

Not saying amendment 4 is a great solution (actual zoning and planning would be much better.)
Not a solution at all. It would lead to a great deal more corruption and bias than there is presently. You are right about zoning and planning.