• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Which way will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
The fact that St. Joe is against it is making me think I should vote for it.

...that's the best reason to vote for it--although JOE won't be doing much of anything over the next several days other than "damage control" after Einhorn tore it a new one at today's Value Investing Congress.

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
Just wait until you try and read through a ballot if this passes. Every land use change will be on the ballot. Currently, attempting to educate yourself on any project in a reasonable manner takes much time attending planning meetings and commissioner meetings. Have you ever read the legal ads in the newspaper about proposed changes? They will often use only the parcel id and the new development name with a legal description. A few months ago, many people were outraged that they didn't understand which properties were trying to be changed for land use because they listed only parcel IDs. The same would hold true if it made it to the ballot. I cannot imagine how little information we would actually get if a project was on the ballot. We wouldn't have building plans, project plan layouts, road plans, utility plans, buffer plans, etc. Projects wouldn't have to show that their new use was compatible with the surrounding areas. If we change it to have the people decide on the ballot, without any thought, you might have a Walmart backed up to your house. At least they now have to go through a well thought planning process and jump through meaningful hoops.

If you ever vote for or against something only because someone is for or against it, you are cheating yourself and all the people in Walton County. Think about how easy it would be for a developer to promote a yes vote by advertising and campaigning. It will cost them more (which is why they don't want it), but it is fairly easy to manipulate the masses. I wonder if they will also be allowed to post signs on the roadsides like the candidates running for office. Lord help us all if that is the case. Political signs will have nothing on the developer signs.

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
For those of you who are against a Walmart coming to SoWal, did you attend the planning meetings or the commissioner meetings and stand up and speak against it? You had the opportunity to voice your concern.