• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
OK, maybe I missed it but who is going to enforce this ordinance? Are they going to seek bids to remove signs that are not picked up and what if the bid is higher than what is currently funded through the fees? How will there not a cost be associated with the stamping and regulation of the signs? Its not that I think this is a terrible idea, but for those of you who believe in making government smaller and reducing government regulation, and enjoying the freedom of speech (so to speak) I think this may be a step in the wrong direction. IMO. As someone who has placed signs and even picked up other folks signs after elections, for free, this is interesting to say the least.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
On the agenda for the Oct. 26 county commission meeting is an ordinance proposed by a member of the business community to regulate campaign signs, establishing fees and deposits in connection with political signs.
Here is a link to the ordinance:

http://fl-waltoncounty.civicplus.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=2830

The full meeting agenda is at:

http://www.co.walton.fl.us/archives/47/October 26 2010 bcc agenda w links.pdf

The 26th meeting is going to be a hoot then.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
$5,000 deposit? That's more than some of the candidates spend on their entire campaign. This seems a little burdensome, but I agree the 26th will be interesting.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Well the link is dead so it looks like they might be reworking the agenda.

This ordinance seems good in theory, but it doesn't cover non-filing political committees such as the Tea Baggers.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Which amendment to the US Constitution gives you the right to litter?

I know it isn't in the first 10. :roll:

I have to agree that anything limiting the ridiculous amount of signage is a potential good thing. Who really looks at the bloody things anyhow? I seriously doubt any sign or quantity of signs has ever changed anyones mind on who they were voting for.