• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Our Weim had seizures. Turns out that due to poor dental health she had bacterial endocarditis which threw off clots to her brain. This got diagnosed properly at Auburn Vet College. Even if this is not the reason for the seizures, I would strongly recommend taking the dog to Auburn if it's within a reasonable distance.

Because of what happened to our Weim, we are very vigilant about our Pepper's dental health. We have her teeth cleaned by the vet twice a year, with brushing at home, teeth scraping at home with dental tools from Doctor Foster's catalogue, and Hexident chews.

Hope scooterbro's doggie's problem gets diagnosed and treated soon!

Last edited:

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
So sorry...Unfortunately this happens for some unknown reason. I had a retired greyhound that was prone to violent seizures. I think the larger the dog the scarier it is for the owner. I too used phenobarb (wrapped in chicken so it was a "treat".) She lived a long and wonderful life. Eventually she would come and find me when she knew a "spell" was coming on and I could comfort her and sweet talk her and it would go away. My clue was she would come and stare at me and her eyes would be dialated and spinning a bit. Best of luck to your bro and his buddy.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Is your brother in CO? I know someone whose dog had seizures and it turned out to be Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. To boot, the dog contracted it in the NE. :eek:

The usual signs for dogs with tick borne diseases is arthritis and lethargy, which is why it got missed the first time, but neurological issues have been seen in dogs.

arimport

Beach Lover
Aug 14, 2008
I just lost my dog to seizures @ a month ago. He developed them at the age of three and passed at age 5. We started him on phenobarbital but eventually the seizures got worse(more frequent and in clusters) and the levels of the medicine were harming Jeremiah! We did a blood work up to determine this. The signs were excessive urinating, lethargy, and overall malaise.

The next step was potassium bromide. This changed his overall condition and stopped the excessive urinating. However, the seizures had taken a toll on Jeremiah and he never came out of the last cluster. He had heart failure.

My suggestion would be to take it seriously and take him to the closest veterinary university for a brain scan. Get the diagnosis and treat him quickly. The more seizures he has the harder it is on him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I know someone whose dog had seizures and it turned out to be Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. To boot, the dog contracted it in the NE. :eek:

The usual signs for dogs with tick borne diseases is arthritis and lethargy, which is why it got missed the first time, but neurological issues have been seen in dogs.

I think this is one of the things they were looking for in the blood tests they did the other week, but didn't find anything.

He certainly does not have arthritis or lethargy.

Thank you guys for all the advice!