• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
Anybody want to give a report on this evening's community meeting please? I couldn't make it. Thanks.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Impressive presentation and plan

I was at the meeting and was impressed with the professional presentation as well as the development plan.

The meeting room was overflowing and there were lots of questions. The traffic flow was the main concern and remedies were discussed.

One individual from Sea Highlands repeatedly reminded the presenters that he had successfully sued and stopped the new development across the street from the Wheel House. He also kept raising the issue that this proposal would change the use of the property which may give him grounds to sue again.

Below is a list of some of the highlights of the plan:

1. The old Wheel house and blighted house, shed, and trailer behind it will be removed.

2. The historic block cottages will be preserved.

3. Attractive landscaping site plan.

4. Removal of on street parking.

5. On site parking area is provided.

6. Beautiful architectural structure.

7. Roof top seating for Gulf views!

8. Lighting will be Dark Sky" friendly i.e. it will be subdued and cast down like Watercolor.

9. At least part of the parking lot will be made of water permeable material.
The new restaurant is approximately the same size as the old Wheel House but it will provide off street parking. This will remove a long-term traffic hazard in the area.

I am still concerned about the traffic going down residential streets, but there were more significant traffic problems with the old Wheel House.

Overall this development plan is a tremendous improvement for the area . I look forward to dining on the Gulf view roof top and watching the sunsets.

zip3

Beach Lover
Jul 24, 2010
I heard that it was going to have a rooftop bar. I am concerned about noise if they have bands or live music.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
I heard that it was going to have a rooftop bar. I am concerned about noise if they have bands or live music.

If any music is played outside...the music carries...and houses located over a block away can hear...it can be disturbing. I still think that a business fronting on 30A should not have traffic entering or leaving through residential areas. Red Bar/ Shortie's in Grayton great examples of adding traffic/ parking issues/ to a residential area. I was under the impression the new CompPlan for South Walton had a section that prevented this.

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
Person making all of the litigation threats must have been part of the Stephens family that owns Alys Beach. They seem to think they are special and can threaten everyone with thier money when someone dares to do something they don't approve of; however, at the same time, they don't hesitate going to the county to get something they want approved. This proposed project, done correctly, will clearly be an improvement over the existing eyesore, and hopefully the community will not allow those that believe they are privileged as a result of their last name to rule over the rest of us because they believe they are entitled.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Person making all of the litigation threats must have been part of the Stephens family that owns Alys Beach. They seem to think they are special and can threaten everyone with thier money when someone dares to do something they don't approve of; however, at the same time, they don't hesitate going to the county to get something they want approved. This proposed project, done correctly, will clearly be an improvement over the existing eyesore, and hopefully the community will not allow those that believe they are privileged as a result of their last name to rule over the rest of us because they believe they are entitled.

So regardless of the time spent in a neighborhood someone can build anything next to you they want to?

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
So regardless of the time spent in a neighborhood someone can build anything next to you they want to?

Yes, seems developers be they in the county or out of the county, carry more weight and are feared by the county because they might sue....not everything is about the almighty dollar. There are so many restaurants/bar type ventures that have gone sour in this area....or half finished projects/ strip malls/ even small housing developments that were approved and never completed...who must have some "big deal" developer behind them....and who suffers with these incomplete or failed projects....those that live near these eyesores.