• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pattymcbob

Beach Lover
Dec 3, 2008
Would love to donate leftover Halloween candy to an agency that can use it. Anyone know of one?

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
Sweets for Troops

DENTISTS are calling on Halloween trick-or-treaters to bring left over sweets to them, so it can be sent to overseas troops.

Waaytv.com in the US reports dentists are running a campaign titled "Save a tooth, Treat a troop" - which is a part of sweets buy-back scheme.

Dentists from across the nation are teaming up to prevent cavities and send candy to troops.

Dr. Forrest Bryant says, "There's a lot of extra candy floating around out there that ends up getting thrown away. This is a good way to help a lot of people with it."

After canvassing door to door for candy on Hallowe'en, children are encouraged to bring the excess to participating dentists.

The kids have an incentive to participate in the program. They bring in their Hallowe'en candy and come out with cash.

The Hallowe'en Candy Buy Back offers US$1 per pound for the sweet stuff. Some dentists, then, offer more incentives. "One extra thing that we do, the kids, we give a firefly toothbrush to that lights up. So they like that," says Dr. Bryant.

Once the candy is collected, the dentists send it off the Operation Gratitude.

The organisation then sends the candy to US Military deployed in harm's way. "My father was in the Marine Corps," says Bryant. "I have always been a supporter of our armed forces. So anything we can do to let them know that we love them and we appreciate what they are doing is really important to me."

Some day, a PhD candidate will learn why particular former military members have so many cavities.