• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I agree w/ Romeo that I doubt the Sheriff would have arrested him w/o any cause - and the complaint certainly says that it was more than some kid whining about practicing a move where you hit someone in the chest.

It sure as hell isn't appropriate or sportmanlike. Acid test - when high school students are showing better judgment, you are most definitely in the wrong.

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
You are right Kurt. I guess I should have used the word "IF" in bold..."IF" the allegations are true...and "IF" they had happened to my kid.... but bottom line he is innocent until proven guilty and for everyone involved we can only hope he is innocent.

But Coach1 you should know a few things about me: First, just because I am 3000 miles away today does not mean it is not my concern. I have roots deeper than anyone I know in Walton County (ShallowsNole may run a tight race). Every single person in my family still lives in Walton County. I taught school there, my girls both went to South Walton and my nephews still play football for Freeport High School. I am a property owner, registered voter, a parent, teacher and a member of SoWal so I can freely post on any topic...as long as I am nice. I don't have to be popular, but I will always state my opinion and as you pointed out, I have done so.
Also, my defense of the sheriff in this case should not be seen as "taking sides" I just happen to feel that he would not risk his reputation, career and good standing with the public on a paper-thin allegation. He is a very popular elected official with a lot to lose.
With that said, I am taking Kurt's advice and waiting to see how this one pans out.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
You are right Kurt. I guess I should have used the word "IF" in bold..."IF" the allegations are true...and "IF" they had happened to my kid.... but bottom line he is innocent until proven guilty and for everyone involved we can only hope he is innocent.

But Coach1 you should know a few things about me: First, just because I am 3000 miles away today does not mean it is not my concern. I have roots deeper than anyone I know in Walton County (ShallowsNole may run a tight race). Every single person in my family still lives in Walton County. I taught school there, my girls both went to South Walton and my nephews still play football for Freeport High School. I am a property owner, registered voter, a parent, teacher and a member of SoWal so I can freely post on any topic...as long as I am nice. I don't have to be popular, but I will always state my opinion and as you pointed out, I have done so.
Also, my defense of the sheriff in this case should not be seen as "taking sides" I just happen to feel that he would not risk his reputation, career and good standing with the public on a paper-thin allegation. He is a very popular elected official with a lot to lose.
With that said, I am taking Kurt's advice and waiting to see how this one pans out.

Well said, Romeosmydog. We miss you guys! I agree completely, if this happend to my kid....

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
We managed to win games just fine w/o resorting to dirty tricks and trying to cripple people.

Coaching philosophy at the school needs to be examined IMO.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Football is a rough contact sport, but when do you cross the line? Apparently a coach at South Walton High School did just that when he began instructing players on a maneuver that could potentially injure an opposing player?s throat. Wednesday, the Walton County Sheriff?s Office arrested South Walton High School football coach, 58-year-old James David Barron, of Freeport. He was arrested for child abuse, a third-degree felony.

The investigation began October 13 after the WCSO received allegations that Barron intentionally struck a juvenile football player in the throat during an October 12 football practice session at South Walton High School. The Sheriff?s Office was working with the Walton County School District.

The investigation revealed that Barron allegedly used a medical neck brace during football practice sessions as a teaching tool to instruct football players to use a throat thrust technique to injure other football players. The brace was apparently obtained from a player who had need of it a few weeks earlier. Walton County Sheriff?s Office Public Information Officer Mike Morrison says the maneuver would have the player use his thumb and pointer finger to strike the throat. Morrison says this was taught as an intent to injure other players. Morrison says there is no evidence to support that the technique was used during an official football game.

Walton County Sheriff Michael A. Adkinson, Jr. says football coaches traditionally serve as role models who teach students the value of discipline, competitiveness and sportsmanship. The sheriff says Barron?s actions go far beyond the toughness expected in football. He says teaching players to strike others in the throat is excessive and unnecessarily puts students in harms way.

As reported on WZEP AM 1460